Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Setting as night?

Is there anyway to set a map as 'Night' so that it's dark? I know of FOW, but that does not quite work :\
Gid
Roll20 Team
What do you expect to happen if you had a feature to set a map to "night"? What you're looking for aesthetically might be subjective depending on who you ask. For instance, a lot of the classic 2D video games didn't darken the map so much as blue tint the entire screen for night environments. Roll20 doesn't have a switch you can flip to make a map darker or tint it crazy colors. If I wanted to change my page from day to night, I'd make a blue translucent PNG and overlay it on top of all the art assets on the Map and Background layer. For daytime, I'd just remove the PNG from the layer.This workaround unfortunately wouldn't work on your tokens, but the rest of your map would look the part.
That's an idea. Thanks for the suggestion. However having a feature that does that would be great. Yes, how night looks can be subjective, however I think most people would agree an overlay such as the one you suggested would fit the bill quite nicely.
Gid
Roll20 Team
I'd recommend creating a suggestion thread in the suggestion forum and see if other users can expand/upvote this idea. I think what might gain more appeal is not so much a night switch but allow tinting options for the entire tabletop. Like, users could choose to tint the tabletop blue for nighttime, orange/red if your players decide to run amok in a volcano or on the surface of mars, green/grey for a hazy swamp. Stuff like that.
That seems quite a good idea to set the mood on a map.