Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Finding free tokens in the marketplace search

Lucian
Pro
API Scripter
Hi, I'm getting a little frustrated by trying to access the free tokensets in the marketplace. If I know in advance what the token is called, I can search for it in the art library tab, and I will generally get a list of the free tokens available. Most of the time, however, that's not the case, and I'm casting around trying to find something that matches. At that point I run afoul of the fact that the art library won't return tag-only matches for free content. If I search for e.g. "human character token", I get no free results in the search, despite the fact that there are dozens, if not hundreds of free tokens in the library tagged with those three words. Is there a way round this other than manually searching through the free content via google, or even more absurd, downloading it all and uploading it to my library? Cheers, Lucian
This was addressed in a separate thread actually. - Link Nolan T. J. Roll20 Dev Team Permalink Quote Report Not via the webpage-- only via in-application searches. This is, for now, working as intended. When we built the original web Marketplace, we thought we'd have individual asset purchases, but realized due to credit card use charges that would not be possible and so the "pack" system became the norm. For the time being, we've decided that most folks in the interface are searching for individual assets and show those upfront, but in the web interface most seem to be pack-browsing so we've implemented that logic.
Lucian
Pro
API Scripter
I'm not sure that this is the same issue. I *am* trying to search for tokens within the application, and it still isn't returning what I'm expecting. My problem is that for at least some tags, the search simply doesn't return a whole bunch of free tokens that are tagged with that tag. It doesn't seem to be consistent. Search for "human" (admittedly a slightly daft example) in the application search (not the marketplace) and you'll see what I mean - there are no free results returned, which is clearly absurd as there are boatloads of free tokens tagged "human" Cheers, Lucian
Silvyre
Forum Champion
Devin Night is pretty much the exclusive provider of free tokens on the marketplace. Try a search for for "devin night" human .
chris b.
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
One good way to find a free token is, if you look at Devin Night's packs that are free, search for the name of the token you want. For instance, "ruffian", "noblewoman", "laborer" all return usable tokens, but "human" or "townsfolk" etc does not return anything useful.  I remember a year ago searches were a lot easier. now it is nearly impossible to find free tokens. 
Gen Kitty
Forum Champion
One way to find your free tokens is to go to the Art Library , from there go to ' Your Library ', and from there go to 'Your Purchases'; the free art is considered to be a purchase by your account.
Lucian
Pro
API Scripter
GenKitty said: One way to find your free tokens is to go to the Art Library , from there go to ' Your Library ', and from there go to 'Your Purchases'; the free art is considered to be a purchase by your account. Yeah, this is true, but unfortunately not at all helpful. The problem is that the free Token sets *don't* appear at the top of the "Your Purchases" section, just the individual tokens appear in the list below - so I can't filter the list to a particular set of free tokens that looks promising. Furthermore, the free tokens appear below all of your purchased content. Since I have  several hundred purchased tiles, this means that the only way I can access the free tiles in this view is to scroll down through pages and pages of my purchased content. Worse still, none of the stuff in this view has its marketplace tags, so the only way to look for stuff is visual inspection - it'd take me 10 minutes to look every time I wanted a token! It's much easier to just do a google search for 'site:marketplace.roll20.net "free set" <search term>' but obviously it would be preferable to be able to search from directly within the art library, as I presume was the original intention.