Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

One off Rapid Fire Modules in 5e

I'm attempting to get experience DMing in roll20. I'll be using old modules and dragon magazine articles I've imported into the system - using variously levels of the interface to see what works. Looking for some player/DMs to play and provide guidance and feedback.  PM me if you are interested,
When would you plan to run these (including time zone).
Yea, semi-interested in being your guinea pig. Willing to play whatever classes for whatever modules to give you more experience with different ones, depending on time of course.
It would vary, I'm cataloging/translating and preparing about 10 of the adventures now.  I'd be trying them at various times on various days, but only two would be listed at a time.  I'm attempting to get an understanding of the pacing with this system, compared with others - and I'm not sure how much time I will have "eaten" by my fiddling with controls. As I've not done that before, I can only state - from my experience as a player it takes about a week per game to get your players interviewed or "setup" and I'd be running both games alternatively (with different modules or one offs).  So I'm attempting to gauge interest.
For a one-off game of 5e on a friday or weekend day, usually all you need is announce it a couple of hours in advance and you get enough willing players. If you're looking for something more long term, or are trying to gather a more sustainable group, take a couple of days. Depending on the time times and days I'd be happy to join and/or help you with DMing on Roll20. It can be a lot faster than real life, but only if you have things under control.
Garreth M. said: For a one-off game of 5e on a friday or weekend day, usually all you need is announce it a couple of hours in advance and you get enough willing players. If you're looking for something more long term, or are trying to gather a more sustainable group, take a couple of days. Depending on the time times and days I'd be happy to join and/or help you with DMing on Roll20. It can be a lot faster than real life, but only if you have things under control. If you have Pre-Generated characters setup with Sheets and/or Macros for their attacks, defenses, and Skill Checks.... you can announce a one-shot in the LFG forum, have a full crew, and start playing in less than an hour sometimes.  Especially in the golden 8pm EST time slot and if you're not picky about the players joining ( Which is generally the case in many one-shots ). A good chunk of the lead-up time to a given One-Shot is gathering the players,  character-creation process, and creating/updating their sheets/macros in Roll20 once they're in.  If you eliminate two of the three by having several pre-generated characters with everything setup already, you can significantly cut down the lead-up time. I do, of course, very highly recommend you COPY/DUPLICATE your one-shot once you have it setup the way you want.  That way you can re-use it for another group without having to manually reset everything.
Mark G. said: Garreth M. said: For a one-off game of 5e on a friday or weekend day, usually all you need is announce it a couple of hours in advance and you get enough willing players. If you're looking for something more long term, or are trying to gather a more sustainable group, take a couple of days. Depending on the time times and days I'd be happy to join and/or help you with DMing on Roll20. It can be a lot faster than real life, but only if you have things under control. If you have Pre-Generated characters setup with Sheets and/or Macros for their attacks, defenses, and Skill Checks.... you can announce a one-shot in the LFG forum, have a full crew, and start playing in less than an hour sometimes.  Especially in the golden 8pm EST time slot and if you're not picky about the players joining ( Which is generally the case in many one-shots ). A good chunk of the lead-up time to a given One-Shot is gathering the players,  character-creation process, and creating/updating their sheets/macros in Roll20 once they're in.  If you eliminate two of the three by having several pre-generated characters with everything setup already, you can significantly cut down the lead-up time. I do, of course, very highly recommend you COPY/DUPLICATE your one-shot once you have it setup the way you want.  That way you can re-use it for another group without having to manually reset everything. All very good ideas, I've begun making a core template for my 5e games - (npc characters named "Elvish" "Dwarven" which I'll hopefully attach the PC to so that when "we" speak (Whisper) in a specific language it will be only for those people to understand. Getting charts imported as tables and am building macros - but I'm not sure what is really of any value there - so that's why I'll be test running them in micro-enviroments prior to my big campaign idea ( ... I wish I/we could "sell" that for no cost, but I understand that's not something the marketplace will allow at this time as its mostly copywritten materials. Garreth M. - I will GLADLY take you up on that offer, I'm reading (digging) through the forums right now and attempt to employ the [Script] D&D 5e Shaped NPC & Spell Importer. api to get the real "muscle" work finished on the template. If anyone has best/better system for putting in the spell, npc, monsters etc... feel free to share it. 
Thanks for the reply. I'd be down to help whenever I can. What level would you want the characters to be? It would be interesting to make a few pre gens with different focuses. 
I've made a few 1st levels, moved them to 3rd and to 5th, &nbsp; I have a custom build of sorcerer, fighter, monk, barbarian, rogue, and an archer. I have a these two sources <a href="http://www.tabletopping.net/dd-5e-pre-made-charact" rel="nofollow">http://www.tabletopping.net/dd-5e-pre-made-charact</a>... and Lost Mines characters for the pregens I've been inputting into the base template to expedite the "onboarding process" &nbsp;for the rapid play. I've collected a number of characters in a doc which I need to parse through and find which will work (it was just online sources for builds) Clerics are the hard one for me, because the God choice is as much a function of the player as it is the character. &nbsp;And the choices from leveling are often part of that "persona's" faith
Depending on what days I would be happy to join in.&nbsp; As a GM I'm always looking for a game to play.
This sounds like a lot of fun. &nbsp;Let me know when you play. &nbsp;I'll be happy to grab a pre-gen and roll.