Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Being able to export maps (to share)

I saw a thread earlier about the idea of having users being able to share free campaigns on the Marketplace. Eventually it was bought to our attention that it more than likely will not be done because of the possibility of copyright infringement. Well, I have an idea that keeps Roll20 from dealing with the possibility of infringement and gives users more control over what they can do with their maps. We need the ability to export maps. This would allow users to not only share their entire campaign setting if they wish, but they can also share individual maps as well if they pleased. Why do this? Well, I've got a small series of maps set for a tavern I have been working on. It's REALLY detailed and I know a couple people I've shown it to would love to be able to use it in their own settings. I would gladly share it via something like a link to the exported maps on Mediafire. Now, how would this work? Easy, the exporter would list the rotation, layer, and X, Y coordinates of each of the textures used. It would also list the URL for the texture if it's an outside source (I.E. not uploaded). If it was a texture that was uploaded the exporter would download/add it to the exported format. If the exported map is uploaded to Roll20 the exported textures would be uploaded and added to the user's library, the external textures would be fetched, and then everything would be put in it's proper place.
Gid
Roll20 Team
I believe you mean to say export individual Pages (not maps). Unfortunately, this gets hit with the same copyright problems full campaigns exports would have.
How? How would Roll20 be at all responsible for copyright infringement just for allowing users to export data? That would be like saying WinRar or 7zip can be held responsible because people use them to make shareable archives, and some of them contain containt pirated MP3s. Edit: The only people who can be held responsible is those that share the data. by allow us to export it, you guys are removed from that loop.
Gid
Roll20 Team
Archive compression and Roll20 is an apples and oranges comparison here. WinRar/Zip/Etc's entire purpose is to compress data. You don't actually use or operate any of the data within those archiving application. Pages, campaigns, music, art assets and so on - Roll20 is the end of the line application. If a copyright holder sees that one of their holdings is used improperly on Roll20, they will pick that bone with us first and foremost. How do we go after an infringing Page/Campaign hosted on someone else's server? Long story short. We can't. We'd probably have to take time out of development to set up a disable/purge of the offending page and/or campaign from our users' accounts. This probably means frustrating or angering our userbase. Copyright law is very intangible and often only gets settled in court. Just trying to defend oneself (even if you're very clearly in the right) in court can ruin a small company. We're not trying to be hyperbolic that this sort of thing could open a giant can of worms for us.
An easy way to do it (and this could also be used to help prevent having multiple copies of the same image) is to create a hash of the image (or even a hash of the page, so that all instances of the same page can be found just by doing a query for that page's hash). If these hash's were stored in a DB and linked to the image's location, finding and removing the image or page (I would remove the image long before the entire page) would be trivial. "How do we go after an infringing Page/Campaign hosted on someone else's server?" You don't. Make it so that users can't use it. How? Blacklist the offending image's hash(s) and/or page's hash. Page hash would be more efficient and would probably anger less people. I understand concerns with infringement. But you guys have already opened that Pandora's Box by letting us upload images. There are really only two options you guys can do. A.) You can close the Box by removing our ability to upload content (This would have a very negative effect on subscription sales, my players and I would leave) or B.) Set up a system (like the one I have suggested) that gives you the ability to remove infringing works (I.E. security against lawsuits via this system and the DMCA Safe Harbor laws) And with that security there should be no problem with letting us share pages. Due to the DMCA Safe Harbor laws it would be worth your time to have a system in place (unless you want to try and remove all the infringing images by hand).
More importantly. Before time, money and effort is expended by the Dev Team to investigate the legalities, let alone begin the coding process, there are a number of other higher priority items that have to be addressed, including bug fixes and new features. Currently, an export/share feature is on the radar, but it's fairly low on the list until a lot of other things are smoothed out. At that time, an easy, safe and legal method will be investigated, and if it's possible without exposing Roll20 to costly litigation, a system will be implemented.
I still implore you guys to set up the hash system. It would REALLY suck for you guys to be given a DMCA take down and there be no easy way of getting rid of all instances of that image. It would mean you guys lose you Safe Habor rights and open yourselves up to said ligation. I don't want that.