Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Anyone know of good, ambient background noises?

I've got four and I'll list them here. Busy cafe by Location Recording - This is awesome for bars and taverns. Snyders Ship Yard by MostlyTheCoast - Great for ship yards Kingsburg Peepers by MostlyTheCoast - Great night time noises. Covered Bridge Wind by MostlyTheCoast - Awesome for really windy places Actually almost anything by MostlyTheCoast is really great.
These are great! Good finds.
Thank you! I love ambient sounds and they can really add to the immersion of a game. Especially if you use them correctly. For example, lets say your party is camping with a single PC on guard duty and you've got Kingsburg Peepers by MostlyTheCoast playing lightly in the background. Just loud enough so that it's decent background noise. As the PC stays on guard you make a gmroll to see if he sees an enemy trying to jump the sleeping adventures, but while you roll you also cut the sounds. If the player notices the sudden quietness of the crickets, add +2 to her check. This is something that could *really* entrap the players in the game.
I'm going to start posting all the ones I find here.
Crowd Noise - Good arena sound Dig and Pick by Alberonn - Great for mines or construction pits. Cave Sounds by ajaxthecleanser Dark Water by Sound Of Valium - Creepy as hell. Great for evil places. Forest sounds by Canazcorr Radio Static by Aown Airplane Fly By by gonzalezchristopher24 Thunder by Pie Pie Delta - Cleanest recording of thunder I have ever heard. Screaming People by bobserra - By itself this track isn't that great, but add the sound effect of fire and it turns into something entirely else. Speaking of Fire. Fire by MMedia&Design - MMedia has a lot of great sound effects, but they're short so you'll have to loop them. I edited this one so it loops near seemlessly. I think that's enough for now.
Anyone else? I'll gladly keep posting, I'm just wondering if anyone else has any to share. I'll do this even if I'm the only one.
I haven't found any yet, but I'll gladly post them if I do. Just as an aside: <a href="http://www.freesound.org/" rel="nofollow">http://www.freesound.org/</a> has some great sound effects and a lot of them have pretty liberal licenses for reuse. You can even narrow your searches to ones with creative commons 0 licenses. It's pretty easy to upload and then tag the ones you like.