Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Tokens Copies and Character Sheets

Now I already understand how to do this with HP bars, but I'm having trouble figuring out if its even possible to have tokens with different attributes that share the same base monster 'character'. For example, say you have a trio of orcs. They're all statistically the same, therefore you copy your original orc token twice (ensuring to unlink their HP so that their HP doesn't change as a group). However, say during battle one of your Orcs has one of their stats, say Strength reduced temporarily. Whether you use a Macro or do it manually, the Strength attribute always changes on every copy of that token. I assume this is by design, is there any way to fix this besides having multiple copies of a character sheet for every given monster in my journal tab?
Andrew R.
Pro
Sheet Author
You haven't set your tokens up as MOOKS correctly as described in the wiki page: <a href="https://wiki.roll20.net/Linking_Tokens_to_Journals" rel="nofollow">https://wiki.roll20.net/Linking_Tokens_to_Journals</a> You have a CHARACTER token, which links back to the character sheet, as does every copy of that token, so when you change one token, they all change. You should set up tokens like this for your PCs, and perhaps for your named NPCs, but not for your unnamed NPCs like a trio of orcs. They are MOOKS. I set up all my monsters like MOOKS in my 13th Age campaign and it works a treat. I do mess up sometimes, as my players will attest, but they forgive me. ;-)
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
It sounds like you are &nbsp;setting your tokens up correct to allow for independent hit points however to have other attributes be independent you would either need to make separate sheets for each monster or utilise the other bars for the more common changes and make sure the macros reference them rather than the characters attributes. It can get messy that way so my suggestion would be to use status markers to indicate temporary status changes and adapt things on the fly accordingly. Str decreased? add an appropriate icon with the number of the decrease and that should act as a prompt so that whenever you run a damage macro for example you remember to remove 1 from the result (depending on how str works in your chosen system) and so on... Not elegant i grant you but to maintain the usefulness of having multiple tokens feeding off one sheet it is a necessary evil. Other options may be available and i'll be watching this thread with interest in case others have better ways of dealing with it.

Edited 1444233089
Kiyomi N.
Sheet Author
Thanks Andrew but i already did the MOOK thing. This is something different. That guide only works for HP/MP or whatever your bars are setup for. Tch that is a shame Ziechael.... Right now my Macro gives you the option to add a conditional modifier to the attack roll but not to modify the damage roll. That's all calculated automatically. I could easily fix that but it's very frustrating to not be able to do with Strength and all that what we already do with HP. Kinda makes all my automatic calculations pointless. On the idea of separate sheets. Is there a way to copy a sheet? Nevermind, I figured this out. Also, is there a way to reduce the number of characters that appear in my chat dropdown for 'speak as' cause I imagine this will get messy quickly. Though I suppose I can duplicate a monster just before an encounter then delete it when I'm done... :)