Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Euro Shadowrunners

Zym
Sheet Author
We are two guys in Europe. We are looking for another European to teach us rules of Shadowrun. We are both pretty clued up. However we would both like to chat with a veteran player on teamspeak so we can ask a few questions regarding rules. This is not a game listing, it is a session to discuss Shadowrun with the intention of starting a game in the future.
Veteran Shadowrun players are hard to find if you are looking an Europe specificly. They are out there, just hard to find. I'm trying to learn the game as well, seeing as I am supposed to GM a game with a few friends. Good luck, and if I get the hang of it, I'll let you guys know :)
Zym
Sheet Author
Cool Joerie. Thanks man.
Hello, I'm might start running 5e games in gmt time zone. I had couple of 5e session before and on weekend evenings i can get some enthusiastic Americans as well. My only concern is the overwhelming number of rules that exist to force the player to do anything, can be a bummer. I might start running games again on weekends but if I do,I have to stream down a lot.
Zym
Sheet Author
Yes. The rules, the crazy amount of rules. Well. I think the best option is to have a lax rules lawyer. A GM who knows the rules, but also can judge when they are needed so that the storyline progresses in a large part through story telling, then skill checks, then combat. But not using rules for the matrix and combat constantly, only when there has been enough storytelling. :-) What I need is a balance.
i am the other guy ,oh, and hi mert ,kevin z. from belgium here . yup , and a lot of them dont even make that much sense , even for a complex simulationist system. I mean combat is ok for a simulationist system, but called shots , barriers ,shotguns especialy setting explosives are a real pain. Also no hit locations or fun crit table , which is normally to be expected in gritty simulationism, just effects which can be achieved by called shots . And thats just the combat , which i got down reasonably well, enough to criticque it , and have my first house rule ( cover bonus is +2/+4 HITS not dice for defense) Theres still Matrix, Rigging and gear to be gone over as well as the gm chapters for me, since id actually like to know enough to run a game , maybe try some one-off sessions . And thats if i skip magic entirely .

Edited 1445471193
Zym
Sheet Author
I would also consider Fantasy Grounds. There is a 4ed setup. No 5th. But that saying, how much have the rules changed? In Numerana there are what are called GM interventions on a critical 1. And Player bonuses on a 17, 18, 19, 20 It runs like +1, +2, +3 or minor affect, +4 or major affect respectively... (or like I do in 5ed, natural 1 is always a fail, and 20 is always a hit with crit damage/sucess) Nothing else. /// Z Perhaps I can read up on magic and matrix. Then come back and learn combat, rigging and explosions.
The best way I can think, is to play Quick Start which is right here: <a href="http://www.drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/2216/Cataly" rel="nofollow">http://www.drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/2216/Cataly</a>... I am willing to run the adventure there and there are many characters available to pick as well.&nbsp;If you guys tell me what days do you prefer out of Saturday and Sunday, I can start LFG and invite you on 6PM GMT. There have been major changes between 5th and 4th: The number of dice you roll&nbsp;drastically raised up, which is a good thing. There is a hard cap on success which balanced 4th edition's Edge problem. (4th edition mages kills everything.) Overall character creation is a little more simple in 5e Some other random comments Magic is a very important part of Shadowrun and it is probably the simplest out of 3 fields (other 2 is hacking and Guns) Hacking can be a little labor intensive. Also a magical Hacker called Technomencer is very effective but nightmare to use. You can drive a van and hit a chrome infested street samurai, and take more damage. Don't use grenades if you don't have a math degree in real life.

Edited 1445539318
Zym
Sheet Author
Mondays best for me, failing that a Tuesday. But Mondays would be best. I hate Mondays and it would cheer me up ! :-D I wont peek at the adventure. No math is not my strong point, well at least no degree in that subject. If you set it up, I'll be game to play. Sounds like my cuppa tea.
So weekends, are they difficult. Our only option to get more Non EU players are usually lie on weekend evening games. What do you think Kevin.
i think alexs intent was for euro players, though im fine with anyone willing to go over the rules with me. I already played food fight once, wasnt much though, but hey, im mostly looking to learn the ins and outs of the system . combat i know pretty decent, except vehicle, surprise and barriers might warrant looking up. grenades arent that hard really, even for chunky salsa its just adding stuff , tho you might want handwave most of that. the intent behind that rule is clear, when you have that extra special victim , to determine just how much of a bloody pasta you make . Its only when sadism or another really good reason comes into it that its used . Here they explain it <a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8hUlddm0k8" rel="nofollow">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8hUlddm0k8</a>
I am ok this sunday and monday .
For me this Sunday is a little difficult and on Weekdays I may not have the mood to run complex games like Shadowrun. I will start a group on Sunday 6pm group (GMT) tomorrow that will start on 1st of November. Also I may start games on weekdays but they will be more narative based games like Leverage or Numenera.
Zym
Sheet Author
Sunday is not good. I will be busy. Thats all I can say. Monday is much better.
My motherboard got fried on my laptop, so i am temporarily back using my old one, which has been known to literally scream a beep very loudly , so fair warning on that .