Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

DoT Timers

In my campaign all of the players have at least one damage over time effect and not all last the same amount of time. Then there are other effects like "Bulls's Strength" which gets used quite frequently. It'd be awesome if there were like three times as many status effect icons available. And that when I set one I could set a number of rounds it would remain. With 8 players and the small army they will be fighting on a regular basis its really hard to keep track of all those status effects and durations. I could set it to 10 rounds or put 0 rounds for an endless duration. Use the initiative round counter to make it count down. Please add these 2 things it'd be a huge quality of life upgrade.
I think this is the most important thing roll20 needs to be perfect.
It would be handy to see the status effects system get more fleshed out. I would love to see it move to a more customization system where the GM can setup their own icons to use. Map tools did a great job of this (although the UI for it was buggy and clunky). This would allow for as many/little status effects as the campaign needs (which is great for keeping UI clutter down when new users give it a try). I am not sure about the status effects over time though. How do you make the UI for that as easy and intuitive as what we currently have? Is it something that can only be used with the turn system, or can the GM advance the time manually to have everything be effected? What if you forget about an effect and come back to see some number be all messed up because you forgot to remove it last combat? While it would be great to see more scripting and automation, I am not sure that is the direction the Devs are currently going either. It's annoying at times, but I think the simplicity of where things are going is kind of a selling point. It keeps Roll20 as a tool and not as a game, even though it would be handy to have both.
I use hidden tokens to keep track of effects, when they come up on the initiative I reduce their time until they wear off, but I like your idea