Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Pro Advancements and the Upcoming Development Cycle...

We've teased that our next update was going to be "power user" focused, and it's time to start giving some details. In the upcoming development cycle, we've actually chosen to approach our work as multiple mid-sized updates. The biggest drawback to this is that we'll have short windows to test features, but the plus is that we'll hopefully have more new capabilities live at a faster rate (which also allows us to not have a build-up of bugs that can happen as the Development Server and "Live" versions of Roll20 get further apart from each other). With that said, our first update to the Development Server should be this coming Tuesday.  I'm posting this in On-Topic with the hopes of alerting those who might want to get a Pro Account to try the new features coming rapid fire in the next few months-- again, the testing windows will be shorter than normal, but there will also be MORE of them. In this window... Character sheet creation improvements that will allow sheet authors to utilize custom Javascript that will execute whenever an attribute is changed on a character sheet, greatly reducing the number of disabled fields needed to provide auto-calculating values. To some of you, this may seem like technological nonsense speak, while to others you'll be chomping at the bit for more information... to those confused, know this will really help speed up character sheet performance, and to those hungry to try it out and see what we've turned on wait until Tuesday! Pop-out Jukebox and Chat The ability to drag roll buttons from repeating sections to your quick macro bar Aaaaand more! Again, this is the first salvo in a slew of meaty updates for our Power User base... we're hoping to have a two week turnaround from Dev to Live, so Pros please plan on testing these features out SOON.
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
OH Yeah!
Sounds awesome! :)
Alicia
Sheet Author
I'm particularly excited for the Repeating Section rolls on the macro bar... I'm curious to see what the character sheet javascript update will be. I'm guessing it's going to be something to make it so we don't need to use a hidden auto-calc field to aid in complicated calculations?
Finderski
Pro
Sheet Author
Compendium Curator
Awesome, indeed!  Now I may need to really start looking into javascript to update my character sheet. One quick question—with the javascript enhancement, does that mean that we could finally get fields in repeating sections to update "calculated" fields that are outside of that repeating section? Can we also use the javascript to update default values within a repeating section so that every field doesn't need to be "updated" just so we don't get error messages in dice rolls that reference those fields? (I guess that was two quick questions; sorry.)

Edited 1446842384
Gold
Forum Champion
This sounds like an exciting flurry of update periods. Looking forward to all the new Roll20 magic. Popout Jukebox is one that I'll use, and look forward to testing in particular. More music, quicker to click it!
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
Looking forward to it!  =D
Lithl
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Wait... the chat can already pop-out...
Silvyre
Forum Champion
Brian said: Wait... the chat can already pop-out... According to the devs , the popout chat is still in development and hasn't been released.
Lithl
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Silvyre said: Brian said: Wait... the chat can already pop-out... According to the devs , the popout chat is still in development and hasn't been released. Well then it snuck its way onto live, since double-clicking the chat tab pops it out. There may be bugs (I haven't bothered with it), but the feature exists on live.
Natha
KS Backer
Sheet Author
API Scripter
These enhancemetns sound great!
Nice! The repeating list dragging is going to be super helpful. 
chris b.
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
As long as the javascript in character sheets is available to Plus users, having 2 versions of sheets would be pretty difficult to maintain.
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
Based on the way it is going straight into the character sheets, it should be accessible to anyone that can access a character sheet now.  Free/PLus/Pro.
I'm not a pro or plus user yet but I just tried the Chat pop out and it works but the Roll Templates lose their fancy formatting. Is this because I'm not pro or plus?

Edited 1448242504
Silvyre
Forum Champion
Doug E. said: I'm not a pro or plus user yet but I just tried the Chat pop out and it works but the Roll Templates lose their fancy formatting. Is this because I'm not pro or plus? Could you post a screenshot?
Alicia
Sheet Author
Doug E. said: I'm not a pro or plus user yet but I just tried the Chat pop out and it works but the Roll Templates lose their fancy formatting. Is this because I'm not pro or plus? The chat does pop out currently in production, however the templates and some API functions don't seem to work correctly when it is. Those are some of the things being tested on the Dev server right now to be fixed for the next update.