Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

tabletop miniature wargames

I would like to say that when talking to this with my friend he ask me, hey could we play warhammer 40k with that? I started thinking about this and realized that Roll20 could easily be used for mini wargames in addition to pen and paper games. However in order to do this several systems need to be added (many of which have been suggested before). This could expand the customer base of people who use this application 1) Abilitiy for players to control their own tokens (so you can make your own moves) 2) Ability for players to use a measure tool (same as above) and adjust that tool as needed. For example be able to change how the tools measure so that 1 hex=1 inch..etc 2) Ability to be able to place tokens off a hex to allow more freeform placement of tokens, that way you still have the grid to be able to measure distance 3) Ability to upload PDFs by player and GMs (so each player can see exactly whats on the others army list). 4) Ability for player to upload their own images (either requires GM approval or is a settings that can be turned on/off) so they can use their own tokens for their army (like say pictures of thier real army). 5) Ability to turn tokens in more specific intervals (for example you can pick to turn a token 90, 45, 10, 5 degree increments) for those games where facing is important. This could also be solved by allowing more than one GM in a game. By doing this you can add another category of games without adding a bunch of system specific options. All the above could also be used by the pen and paper side.
1) You could assign tokens to specific players, or even just to 'controlled by everyone', so I think this one is handled. 2) Players can also use the measurement tool, but we're still stuck at the default scale. I think that the developers are considering how make this configurable. 2.2) You can measure without the grid if desired. Or, if you just want to move without grid snap, press 'alt' when moving an object. 3) Can't do this yet, unfortunately. We'll see if the developers add it. 4) Definitely would be cool. 5) Yeah, I'd like to be able to see specific facings as well. I think that Roll20 is almost ready to handle most wargames, and I think that, if it succeeds at being as system agnostic as it wants, wargames will definitely be doable, and I look forward to giving some wargames a try.
While a number of your items would require some work from the team, I can comment on a couple of them: 1. Players can move their own tokens, but they can't modify the values around the token. The GM just has to assign ownership to those tokens. 2.b. Placing characters off of the hex/grid would defeat the purpose of having a grid. A more robust measuring tools would be more useful in this instance. Just my 2 cents. Circle
Tabletop wargames are something we really want to put some focus on going forward, as it's a really good fit for our philosophy and doesn't SEEM like it's going to take oodles and oodles to implement. Really glad to see people talking about this and making suggestions one how we'd make it easier to do.
i agree a more robust measuring tool would be best i think with turning off the grid. Didnt realize players could move their own tokens.