Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Interest Check - Dresden Files?

Have the rules, only skimmed them.  But it looks fun!  Curious if there's interest to try and get a game going.  
Have the book, never played it or any FATE game before but would love to learn the system, Dresden Files is amazing.
I liked the series a bit, been a while since I watched it though. Willing to learn if you don't mind a noobish guy. Played pathfinder, dnd 3.5, a session of serenity, and a couple sessions of gamma world. I've been doing dnd 3.5 for the last month now, so about 4-6 sessions and currently have done about 3 sessions of pathfinder. all about 4-6 hours long each. That's my history if you were curious, anyways, if you would like me to join, I would be able to do them Mondays after 5pm central (GMT -6), and Thursdays around noon (GMT -6). I might be able to move a few things around and all but gotta find out when the campaign would start first.
Hey, I'm interested as well. I can match Cody K's thursdat noon time. I'm also new to the rules but will purchase them if accepted.
I'm interested. I've actually played Dresden files before, along with other FATE games. It's a great system. It's especially good for roleplayers and co-operative story-telling. I can make the Thursdays at noon (GMT -6). kay
i would like to play als just as warning to any body who wants to read the books there are a lot of spoilers for the first 10 books 
I've read all the books, so no worries for me :-)
Would love to play in one. I did an interest check a while ago and got so many responses in two days I couldn't sift through them and decided to invite. I have DMed two mini story arcs  before, it was lots of fun. Also read all the books, but not the short stories.BTW Jim Butcher's website has a lot of fan made material, some of it is really good. 
I've been looking for a Dresden game for a while now. If you guys are full, do you know of any other groups floating around who are looking for a player? I have a character sheet ready to go. I've read all the books. 
YES!  +1 +1 +1! I am also planning a Dresden Game sometime in the next month, and will probably need at least one or two more players (no details yet, I'll post when looking). I started one that didn't happen on here about a month ago.
I'm looking forward to its Steve, Love the setting almost as much as I Love bacon.
Cool.  I should mention when it rolls around that it will be my first dive into the Dresden RPG.  Last time we tried to use M&M 3rd edition, which may or may not have contributed to the campaign's failure.
Yah, I'm not too sure how well the fate system will do... Not too excited about the rule system, but love the setting! Do you have any experience with the fate system that the dresden rpg uses? is it any good?
I like the Fate system for its simplicity and flexibility. The spellcasting system especially is very versatile, although it is also the most complex part of the game. However, once you get a handle on it, in practice it becomes very simple. I haven't actually played a game with the system, but I've been looking it over for the last couple of days and it seems like a very straight-forward, story-driven system. Also, you need to decide whether you want to use the official rules for the DFRPG, which is based on FATE 2.0, or the new FATE 3.0 rules. Several things have been tweaked, but consensus seems to be that FATE 3 is all-around the better system. A lot of the rules and options have been streamlined for ease of play. However, that does mean you'll have to do some converting. For example, the way Extras work in FATE 3 is slightly different than the way Powers work in DFRPG.  For example, in the F3 book they basically lump all magic under one Extra that's dependent on the Lore skill, whereas in DFRPG spellcasting is a Power dependent on two skills, Conviction and Discipline, and each spell has its own individual prerequisites and parameters. Like DFRPG though, powers like super strength or resilience cost points of refresh to buy; meaning you start each session with fewer fate points to spend in exchange for having this nifty power you can use at any time. I'm fine doing it either way. My suggestion is that not everyone play a spell-slinging mage. It would be better to have at least one vanilla mortal, and at least one super-powered mortal like a werewolf or Red Court infected. Dresden Files is in general a pretty low-magic setting, and a party of five wizards would probably get boring quickly.
uuuuuuuuuuugh Dresden Files, the one RPG I own that I haven't actually played or run! ...I will nominally posit interest though I'm not sure how much more RPGing I can fit in my weekly calendar. The time isn't so much a problem but I DO have things I have to do then (taking care of an ailing aunty) so I'd be a bit in and out for the first hour-ish. I've never played it though so even if nobody invites me to play I'd like to sit in on a session or three and see how it's supposed to go, get a feel for it. FATE is simple enough I could probably get my local non-table-gaming friends to actually look at it, LOL.
I already have games on Sunday, Monday, and Thursday. the best day for me would be Wednesday, but I'm flexible. The character I have made is a Sorcerer Detective, based on a refresh level of 6. I didn't see anything that said there was a limit on how many spells we can know, but I have eight of them written out. The elements I picked are Air, Earth, and Spirit (he's a lightning/force mage ninja).
I am doing  a lot of gaming right now as well but as I said a while ago, I would be totally up for trying to make room for a Dresden Game. I have run the stystem, i thought it worked fine, I really like the use of aspects. The magic was at times a little dificult to get a my head around, partially because players had a hard time grasping such vague rules for magic which is normally very detailed. 
The way I understand it, it breaks down like this:  You make an attack roll with your Discipline. You decide how powerful you want the spell to be. Your spell gains a Weapon rating equal to the number of shifts you put into it. You make a Discipline roll to control the spell. You calculate damage [Attack Roll - Defense roll + Weapon Rating]. For maneuvers, always assume the Weapon Rating is 3. For counterspelling, assume the Defense Roll is the number of shifts of power in the opposing spell. Things only get more complicated if you fail, or if you daraw in power above your Conviction score. Each spell costs [1 + X - C] where C is Conviction. Failing causes either Backlash or Fallout. With Backlash, you simply take stress equal to the number you failed by, to either track, and the spell succeeds as normal. Fallout deals that same number to the environment, and also reduces the power of your spell by that same amount.  That's..pretty simple when you actually get it. It took me a while to grasp as well, simply because it isn't explained very simply, like, anywhere. Also, it can be easy to get lost amidst all the other restrictions and rules, such as only being able to use three elements, and focus items only giving bonuses to one element, one skill, and either offense or defense, instead of just providing a flat +1 to either Discipline or Conviction. That's why I think it's best to write out a bunch of spells beforehand so that you have a comfort zone to operate in. That beats the heck out of having to do the math every time for the same spell. It also gives you a good sense for what your character is capable of, and what their limits are.