Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Dynamic Lighting, Line of Sight & Blocking Movement.

I have been trying to set up a prison map using dynamic lighting for both line of sight and to impede movement.  Unfortunately I can't get the "bars" to work properly.  I place (on the dynamic lighting layer, some small rectangles to simulate bars.  They are very close together and do a pretty nice job of casting shadows.  However, they are not impeding travel and the players can just walk out of their cells!  Not good.  Is there anything out there that will impede travel but not block line of sight?  I do have the box checked in the preferences on the page that says to affect travel.  Help Please!!
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Hi Scott, tokens work on a 1px centre which is what determines whether or not they can travel past a DL line. Unfortunately that means that at this time the only way to fully block movement is to have a solid line which will block LoS as normal (see the suggestions forum for many posts to improve on this). You have 2 realistic options, 1 is the social approach. Tell the players that they are in a cell and can't get out and trust them not to walk through the bars (this is what I do but my players are good eggs). The second is to have solid lines denoting the cell doors (make them a different colour so you can easily distinguish them and move/remove them on the DL layer when the time comes) and place invisible light tokens in the corridor outside the door which the players have 'control' of which would create the illusion of sight beyond the solid cell. Using light angles and rotating the invisible tokens you can can create the limited cone of vision a prisoner would have too. For ease of DMing I create a rollable table with an invisible token in it which has a small aura that only the DM can see and the light settings preset. Then i can just create a token of that table as needed and place it quickly many times over. 
Thanks Ziechael for the insight.  Do you think this is something that Roll20 could add in the future?  Perhaps a choice for a solid line that does not block line of sight but does hinder movement.  Kind of like transparent aluminum!  Don't know if that's possible but it would sure be helpful
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
I certainly hope so but I am not privy to the current road map in the Roll20 Cave of Coding. However lend your weight to this prominent suggestion and we can keep the hope alive :) <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/1242655/dynamic-lighting-one-sided-dynamic-lighting" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/1242655/dynamic-lighting-one-sided-dynamic-lighting</a>