Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

[Request] Does anyone know if there is a language script...

Does anyone know if there is a language script out there like "What did he say?". I was looking at that one and thought it was a good one, but I can't find the script. When I click on the link for the code it says there is no page for that code. Same thing for the "Language" script. If there's not one of these anymore, would someone please write one. It would actually be very useful in my campaign. Thanks guys.
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
Here's the link:&nbsp; <a href="https://gist.github.com/BaldarSilveraxe/d66d4aad2f" rel="nofollow">https://gist.github.com/BaldarSilveraxe/d66d4aad2f</a>...
The Aaron said: Here's the link:&nbsp; <a href="https://gist.github.com/BaldarSilveraxe/d66d4aad2f" rel="nofollow">https://gist.github.com/BaldarSilveraxe/d66d4aad2f</a>... Do you also have the script for "What did he say?"? I really like that one better than the Language one, or if there's a way to add more languages to the Language script?

Edited 1447901209
Hey Arthur, I've used the first script Aaron linked to and it is pretty easy to add new languages to the script. Basically you just add in blocks like this for every language you want after line 18: { Description: "Dwarven", Sheet: "Language(Dwarven)", languageSeed: 2, characters: "Dwarven"} For each one set the following: Description --- what you want the language to be called Sheet --- what you want the sheet to be called languageSeed --- a value that will be used to randomize characters characters --- which set of characters you want to use to make the gibberish version Just make sure you have a comma after every bracket but the last language. You can pick from the four default character sets (what I did) and just change your seed around so each on looks a little different. Or you could add your own custom character sets by copying and tweaking what is there. I'm actually using a different script in my next campaign that you might find interesting. The forum post is here: <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/1112072/slug%7D" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/1112072/slug%7D</a> It doesn't have the same flair as the first but is a little easier to use (in my humble opinion). Just point it to an attribute that stores a list of languages each player speaks on line 2. Then they just use the command !speak [language] [message] (i.e. !speak Drow Die adventurer!) with their token selected and anyone who doesn't speak it gets garbled text.&nbsp; It doesn't require modifying the script for each language and doesn't give away what language is being used as someone types a message by showing "Language(Drow) is typing..." at the bottom. It does require your players all use the same names for languages (Elven vs Elvish) and that you use the correctly in the command (I wrote a macro with a drop down for that in mine). Just my $0.02 on the topic. If you have problems getting either to work post back and I'd be happy to help!
An easy way to set up languages is to make a character sheet for each language you will use in your game. give the players that know that language control over the sheet, then a macro /w dwarven (or Klingon or whatever) [message]. Anyone who has that language will understand it. I usually do a second line, visible to all, " Bob is babbling in elvish " or Klingon or Urdu or whatever. No API needed.

Edited 1447966722
Brent T. said: Hey Arthur, I'm actually using a different script in my next campaign that you might find interesting. The forum post is here: <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/1112072/slug%7D" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/1112072/slug%7D</a> Getting this error when using that script: /home/symbly/www/d20-api-server/node_modules/firebase/lib/firebase-node.js:1 orts, require, module, __filename, __dirname) { function g(a){throw a;}var j=v ^ TypeError: Cannot call method 'get' of undefined at evalmachine.:6850:23 at eval ( EDIT: Do you have to build character sheets for the first language script? EDIT 2: Also what is the syntax for the first Language script.
The Aaron said: Here's the link:&nbsp; <a href="https://gist.github.com/BaldarSilveraxe/d66d4aad2f" rel="nofollow">https://gist.github.com/BaldarSilveraxe/d66d4aad2f</a>... For some reason I cannot get this script to work. I don't know if I'm doing the syntax wrong or what but it's not working. It's not breaking the script, or throwing an error, but nothing comes up in the chat.
On the first one, the first things that come to mind are: 1) Does the token you have selected when running the script represent a character? 2) If so, does that character have an attribute named the same as the value at LANG_ATTRIBUTE on line 2 of the script? For the first script that Aaron posted there shouldn't be any syntax. When I used it it created all the character sheets detailed in the script (Elven and Dwarven by default) automatically when I first loaded it up. As for the syntax, you need to select the language you want to speak in as your character below the chat window (make sure everyone who can speak it, including yourself as GM, has control of that sheet): Then when you type a message with "!" before it the script should take over. So in my image above I typed "!Here is a message" Hope that helps, let me know if it doesn't or if there is more I can do!

Edited 1447968830
Brent T. said: On the first one, the first things that come to mind are: 1) Does the token you have selected when running the script represent a character? 2) If so, does that character have an attribute named the same as the value at LANG_ATTRIBUTE on line 2 of the script? For the first script that Aaron posted there shouldn't be any syntax. When I used it it created all the character sheets detailed in the script (Elven and Dwarven by default) automatically when I first loaded it up. As for the syntax, you need to select the language you want to speak in as your character below the chat window (make sure everyone who can speak it, including yourself as GM, has control of that sheet): Then when you type a message with "!" before it the script should take over. So in my image above I typed "!Here is a message" Hope that helps, let me know if it doesn't or if there is more I can do! Line 2 of the script is&nbsp; var roll20API = roll20API || {};
Arthur B. said: Brent T. said: On the first one, the first things that come to mind are: 1) Does the token you have selected when running the script represent a character? 2) If so, does that character have an attribute named the same as the value at LANG_ATTRIBUTE on line 2 of the script? For the first script that Aaron posted there shouldn't be any syntax. When I used it it created all the character sheets detailed in the script (Elven and Dwarven by default) automatically when I first loaded it up. As for the syntax, you need to select the language you want to speak in as your character below the chat window (make sure everyone who can speak it, including yourself as GM, has control of that sheet): Then when you type a message with "!" before it the script should take over. So in my image above I typed "!Here is a message" Hope that helps, let me know if it doesn't or if there is more I can do! Line 2 of the script is&nbsp; var roll20API = roll20API || {}; I also keep getting API: Uncontrolled Language Sheet. But the Language sheet is controlled by the token that is selected.
Brent T. said: On the first one, the first things that come to mind are: 1) Does the token you have selected when running the script represent a character? 2) If so, does that character have an attribute named the same as the value at LANG_ATTRIBUTE on line 2 of the script? My apologies for not being as clear as I could have been. This ^ portion of my message was intended to attempt to address the error you were getting when you used the alternative script I mentioned in my first post here. As for the Uncontrolled Language Sheet message you are getting, I did some digging around and was able to replicate the error by not having any players controlling the character sheet: And to clarify, for the original script that Aaron posted tokens are not needed. Just selecting the language you want to use in the drop down list under the chat window and typing your message with a "!" first. Sorry again for the crossed wires!
Brent T. said: Brent T. said: On the first one, the first things that come to mind are: 1) Does the token you have selected when running the script represent a character? 2) If so, does that character have an attribute named the same as the value at LANG_ATTRIBUTE on line 2 of the script? My apologies for not being as clear as I could have been. This ^ portion of my message was intended to attempt to address the error you were getting when you used the alternative script I mentioned in my first post here. As for the Uncontrolled Language Sheet message you are getting, I did some digging around and was able to replicate the error by not having any players controlling the character sheet: And to clarify, for the original script that Aaron posted tokens are not needed. Just selecting the language you want to use in the drop down list under the chat window and typing your message with a "!" first. Sorry again for the crossed wires! "As for the Uncontrolled Language Sheet message you are getting, I did some digging around and was able to replicate the error by not having any players controlling the character sheet: And to clarify, for the original script that Aaron posted tokens are not needed. Just selecting the language you want to use in the drop down list under the chat window and typing your message with a "!" first. Sorry again for the crossed wires!" That's what I tried, but still getting the Uncontrolled Language Sheet message. As for the first part of your message I will have to try that later.
Brent T. said: Brent T. said: On the first one, the first things that come to mind are: 1) Does the token you have selected when running the script represent a character? 2) If so, does that character have an attribute named the same as the value at LANG_ATTRIBUTE on line 2 of the script? My apologies for not being as clear as I could have been. This ^ portion of my message was intended to attempt to address the error you were getting when you used the alternative script I mentioned in my first post here. Ok, for line 2 there is an attribute for lang and the language I'm trying to use is listed in the attribute, but I'm still getting the error. Does it need to be LANG_ATTRIBUTE?
I am also getting a similar error to Arthur when using the alternate script suggested by Brent. I made sure to check to see if both the Character Attribute and the 2nd line were the same. They were. However, this error is thrown just by starting the script and letting it sit for a second, or at least in my case. /home/symbly/www/d20-api-server/node_modules/firebase/lib/firebase-node.js:1 orts, require, module, __filename, __dirname) { function g(a){throw a;}var j=v ^ TypeError: Cannot call method 'get' of undefined at evalmachine.&lt;anonymous&gt;:7108:23 at eval ( I did a little trial and error with switching the attribute name to be the base of the code "lang", but that yielded the same failure. Any and all help is welcome!

Edited 1450219533
Here is a link to my version of the What Did He Say. It removes all those character sheets and implements a command line interface. It also works off of the speakingas property so that only online users who are speaking as a character that has a given language can understand it. <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/2723217/script-languages" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/2723217/script-languages</a>
Target said: Here is a link to my version of the What Did He Say. It removes all those character sheets and implements a command line interface. It also works off of the speakingas property so that only online users who are speaking as a character that has a given language can understand it. <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/2719144/script-languages" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/2719144/script-languages</a> Works like a charm! Though it would be nice to include a feature for GMs to be able to use any language. Also the default setting for the languages attribute in the sheet I use is "languages" and not "prolanguages" but that was an easy fix once I found where it was.

Edited 1450219520
Courtney R. said: Target said: Here is a link to my version of the What Did He Say. It removes all those character sheets and implements a command line interface. It also works off of the speakingas property so that only online users who are speaking as a character that has a given language can understand it. <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/2723217/script-languages" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/2723217/script-languages</a> Works like a charm! Though it would be nice to include a feature for GMs to be able to use any language. Also the default setting for the languages attribute in the sheet I use is "languages" and not "prolanguages" but that was an easy fix once I found where it was. I have just committed a new version that allows any GM to speak in any language as long as they are speaking as a player and not a character. I have also added a check to see if "prolanguages" exists, and if it doesn't the program looks for "langauges". Please let me know if this solves your problems and if you have any other suggestions!
Target said: I have just committed a new version that allows any GM to speak in any language as long as they are speaking as a player and not a character. I have also added a check to see if "prolanguages" exists, and if it doesn't the program looks for "langauges". Please let me know if this solves your problems and if you have any other suggestions! There is a small problem. It works with the new version (without me touching anything) but the way it is throws the error for no attribute found each time I use it. It then goes to the correct attribute afterwards. I haven't read through the script, but could this be done with an If and Else statement to make it not throw the error? Also the GM languages do not appear to be working as it printed out "[Char name] Pretending to Speak Elven: ?~¤:?Ö".

Edited 1450210463
Courtney R. said: Target said: I have just committed a new version that allows any GM to speak in any language as long as they are speaking as a player and not a character. I have also added a check to see if "prolanguages" exists, and if it doesn't the program looks for "langauges". Please let me know if this solves your problems and if you have any other suggestions! There is a small problem. It works with the new version (without me touching anything) but the way it is throws the error for no attribute found each time I use it. It then goes to the correct attribute afterwards. I haven't read through the script, but could this be done with an If and Else statement to make it not throw the error? Also the GM languages do not appear to be working as it printed out "[Char name] Pretending to Speak Elven: ?~¤:?Ö". Hey, thanks for testing! The version on my GitHub now allows GMs to speak any language as a character as well as a player. It also runs a check on ready that finds out which language tag your character sheets are using so that there is only 1 error thrown. I also added a message that notifies users if their character sheets are not compatible with the script. If anyone knows how to check what the attribute name for languages on a character sheet is that would be helpful! I assume it is completely dependent on the character sheet though.
Target said: Hey, thanks for testing! The version on my GitHub now allows GMs to speak any language as a character as well as a player. It also runs a check on ready that finds out which language tag your character sheets are using so that there is only 1 error thrown. I also added a message that notifies users if their character sheets are not compatible with the script. If anyone knows how to check what the attribute name for languages on a character sheet is that would be helpful! I assume it is completely dependent on the character sheet though. That seems to have fixed it besides the small error thrown, but that isn't a big deal unless it crashes it.
Courtney R. said: That seems to have fixed it besides the small error thrown, but that isn't a big deal unless it crashes it. Sweet! I don't think that error will cause any real problems and I'm not sure there is any way around it since there is no standardized attribute name for languages or a way to check which attribute name the character sheet is using directly. Thanks for the feedback! I hope people find this version useful =)
Target said: Sweet! I don't think that error will cause any real problems and I'm not sure there is any way around it since there is no standardized attribute name for languages or a way to check which attribute name the character sheet is using directly. Thanks for the feedback! I hope people find this version useful =) One way I have seen it done is to create a string or variable at the top that is easily changeable. So that way if your attribute name is not the same you can fix it on the sheet.

Edited 1450217814
Courtney R. said: One way I have seen it done is to create a string or variable at the top that is easily changeable. So that way if your attribute name is not the same you can fix it on the sheet. Hey! thanks for the idea, I've added the !setlanguagetag command that allows GMs to set the name of the language attribute on their character sheets. I've also handled all known errors with a log() message that assures users that the error was handled properly. The script still checks for "prolanguages" or "languages" attributes but if those don't exist, it will inform the user and tell them how to change the attribute name. Unfortunately, I accidentally deleted my forum post but here is another one: <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/2723217/script-languages" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/2723217/script-languages</a>
Very well done, Target! It is exactly what I was looking for.
Courtney R. said: Very well done, Target! It is exactly what I was looking for. No problem! Please let me know here or on the forum post if you have any other ideas for features =)