Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

[Interest Check] AD&D 1e Long-term, improv heavy, rotating DM campaign

So, the title says a lot of it...but maybe not all.  I've been running a 1e campaign for about a year now, and I enjoy it, but really am itching to be a player a little bit more.  I've also been experimenting with Dungeon World, and I like the improvisation factor of playing to see what happens, and collaborative storytelling.  But I also like the scaling up of power in AD&D, and so I'm wanting to try to combine the two, and hopefully get to play a bit as well.  Here's The Pitch... I'm thinking of a group of 4-6 players, with each person controlling a main PC, and perhaps a backup PC or hireling (you know, those 1st level characters are awful squishy).  We'd rotate DMing, and maybe use the Random Dungeon Generation rules as well as the Wilderness Travel rules in the DMG to basically create the world around us as we go.  If someone decided they wanted to DM a module, we could try that as well.  While one person is DMing, his/her character would be either controlled by another player, or perhaps just take a "back seat" for the session or story arc, depending on how long the current DM wants.  I haven't worked out all the details, and I'd be interested in hearing other opinions as well. Times & Dates I'm currently living in GMT +2, but will be soon moving back to the US, so will be in GMT -5.  For me, evenings would be the best, and I can be flexible on the day.  I think I'd like to play at least twice a month, but we can be flexible on scheduling as well. EDIT: I should note that I wouldn't be ready to start this until after the holidays - sometime in January, probably. So, would there be interest in this kind of thing?  Anyone have experience running something like this?
You might want to be open to other OSR systems, such as Dungeon Crawl Classics.  You might get more interest that way.  Just my two cents.
Point taken, and I'm not opposed to looking at other systems, just AD&D is what I know, so I'm confident in saying that I could both play and DM.  I can't say that about other systems.
this is the kind of system im used to playing, we used to set who would dm next time at the end of the night so they could prepare. we used to all run dungeons, but you could take any char to anyones game, players always decided how hard they wanted the night to be, then based on players showing up the dm would tell us how many chars could go on the adventure and what the lvl cap was on chars. im running my dungeons on here now, have been for 3 months or so, the players like the getting to take a second char sometimes. we play 1e with some 2nd and some home rules, great guys but always looking for more as with any game real life tends to make players miss from time to time. we also play tonight and tomorrow night 9pm till ? est and then every 2 weeks. so pm me maybe we can work something out.

Edited 1448958201
Gold
Forum Champion
This would be cool, the real deal. I play (DM) a similar style, but using Basic Fantasy RPG, which is more inspired by BECMI D&D than AD&D, but some of that same flavor, and bringing in Dungeon World concepts, I think sounds like a copacetic mix. Really the similarity from my other game is having the larger group of players, have not managed to get multiple GM's operating in it yet. Using a large (recursive, regeneratable) dungeon from Wizardawn, you probably know the site, Gozer. That's the similarity with the Random generator you're talking about. So I might be interested, in January like you said. I'm familiar with AD&D and have all the books, PHB, DMG, played the 1e system quite a bit. Also I own the Dungeon World book and like the concepts, and incorporate those in all my OSR /AD&D style as well anyway, for story collaboration reasons, like Gozer said. However I'm quite accustomed to 2nd Edition AD&D so I tend to think of some 2E variations or use them as house rules instinctively at this point, for that reason I don't know if I could match as another DM in a rotating campaign. I would consider trying it. I'm at least interested to hear how this shapes up, and the proposed day(s) and times. Following your thread. Happy adventuring everyone.
Thanks for your interest, Gold!  I've been following the Old School Adventures series, and I liked the Moldvay Basic rules enough to buy them - I haven't really started looking at them in depth, but I'd be willing to try that as a system, if that was more to everyone's liking and familiarity.  The only problem I see with that is that the Basic rules, at first glance, only seem to cover up to level 3, and I'm thinking of this as more of a long term campaign - play multiple characters, one or two survive, and actually level up enough to "retire."  Maybe have multiple parties and do "jazz band adventuring." I'm not familiar with BECMI (Unless that's the same thing as Moldvay, and I just showed my ignorance), what levels does that system allow for? EDIT:  Ok, I read a little about the different early (non-AD&D) versions (It's amazing what Google can do:), and I think I could be flexible about any of those systems.  What I specifically DON'T want is a skill-based, character build focused type of game, if that makes sense.  I read somewhere a quote  that's attributed to Gygax that goes something along the lines of "Levels 1-6 are the character's backstory."  That's the style I want.  We'll be developing these characters' stories as we play, and it will be a tale that grows in the telling.
If time will allow, not to mention family not to intrusive, I'd be interested. I started with AD&D1st wit house rules. Blended a lot of basic and 2nd, mainly modules. Was used to having a Character folder, with 10-20 pc's of varying levels. Was normally a family/friend spur lets play. Everyone had a folder, was a right of passage I guess. And if not we could always find a Pre-Roll somewhere of appropriate level. I have access to most basic- threw some 2nd edition modules. Don't ask how. And own every 1st ed book, including OA and MotP and both survival guides. Shoot me a message if you figure out some times/dates/etc
I went ahead and created a LFG post for this. <a href="https://app.roll20.net/lfg/listing/36109/back-to-b" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/lfg/listing/36109/back-to-b</a>... I put in a date & time for a placeholder, but right now that's up in the air.&nbsp; I won't start until at least Jan 13th, and it will likely be in the evening, east coast US time, but beyond that I don't have a firm plan.&nbsp; I'll know my availability better after the holidays.
Update - The LFG is up and running, and we've got one signed up (besides me, that is)!&nbsp; I've made up some terrain tokens which can be modified on the fly (as a rollable table) for creating the regional map, and I've started creating Monster sheets for the monsters listed in the Basic wandering monster table.&nbsp; I've also started uploading important tables and such for handouts - work is proceeding...
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
Hey Goz... just wanted to let you know I've been working a little on the 1e sheet. &nbsp;Should be able to push an update which will include some new repeating sections(equipment, special abilities, spells, wealth, notes), no longer have to have a token selected to use sheet rolls, and some other stuff... &nbsp;Encumbrance and movement on-sheet will also happen, but maybe not in time for the next big Roll20 update. &nbsp;Might need some javascript help to get that to work. ;-)
If you need a random dungeon generator, there is always :&nbsp; <a href="http://donjon.bin.sh/adnd/dungeon/" rel="nofollow">http://donjon.bin.sh/adnd/dungeon/</a>
Vince said: Hey Goz... just wanted to let you know I've been working a little on the 1e sheet. &nbsp;Should be able to push an update which will include some new repeating sections(equipment, special abilities, spells, wealth, notes), no longer have to have a token selected to use sheet rolls, and some other stuff... &nbsp;Encumbrance and movement on-sheet will also happen, but maybe not in time for the next big Roll20 update. &nbsp;Might need some javascript help to get that to work. ;-) Good stuff!
I'm getting some people putting in applications on the LFG listing - but no one on this thread so far.&nbsp; If you're interested enough to take a slot, please go fill out an application in the LFG listing mentioned above, or you may miss out!&nbsp; :)
I keep trying the link but I get a gateway timed out every time.