Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Remove dealt cards in one step?

If I deal a card from a deck to a player, it appears in their hand. If they want to get rid of it, currently the only way I've found is to drag it to the tabletop and then delete it from there. Is there an easier way? For the record, this deck has no discard pile - I'm using it to track GURPS status effects like stunned and nauseated.

Edited 1450381076
Finderski
Pro
Sheet Author
Compendium Curator
The GM can recall all cards (hover over the deck of cards to get the menu options).  Not sure if that's what you're looking for or not, but that's about he only way to get rid of card without doing the process you mentioned (at least that I'm aware of).
Yes, that doesn't do what I need, because it would trash all the status cards everybody else is holding. 

Edited 1450464170
Yeah, it would be really nifty if the GM (and the player) had some ability to remove the card in one step. CotD (previously known as nWoD) has a lot of Conditions that come and go, being able to handle them with more ease would be preferable. I am seriously considering making an Suggestion in the appropriate forum. Hm.
Finderski
Pro
Sheet Author
Compendium Curator
You could, as the GM, try to steal the card. Then the player would just need to release it to you.  Then you'd have a mitt full, but could recall them all once everyone has give you their status cards. Not optimal, but potentially easier than what your players need to do currently?
That is what I do now actually, alas it eats up time, and handing those cards out does as well since one can't "auto-sort" them in the deck and so on. So yeah, might be worthwile putting in an idea for a deck-UI overhaul. (either that or use some other method, but I've yet to find one that allows me to throw on text etc for the player to read)
Finderski
Pro
Sheet Author
Compendium Curator
You may need to, unfortunately...BUT as one last idea (and I don't know how GURPS status effects work, so this may not be useful), if the players only need one card a time, you could also set up the VTT with areas for cards to be placed for each character.  I play Savage Worlds (which uses cards for a lot of things) and the Chase mechanics are vastly different than other uses of cards in that game.  So, I set up a board that looks like this: Then when a card needs to be drawn, you don't even have to deal, because you can set up the deck to allow the players to help. You can set it up so the players can just drag the card from the deck to the spot on the board and drop it there; then it's a simple delete once they are done.  So, cards don't need to go into the players hand if it's not necessary. I'm assuming you already know that you can also set up the deck to choose which card you want to deal. When I read your original post you mentioned that you are using it to track things like stunned and nauseated, etc. So that sounds like you need to draw/deal specific cards and not random ones? Also, is there a reason you don't use the status icons for the token? That places a little dot or icon directly on the characters token to help keep track of certain effects the character may be under.  For example: I use these to keep track of when a character is Shaken (i.e. can't act), or how many wounds the character may have, etc.  I bring this up merely as an alternative to cards, in case you weren't aware of these. And thinking about it, if there are a certain number of cards only, you could also create a multi-sided token (ala rollable tables). You could create on for each player and give each one a different tint so visually you'd know which card goes with which character. Then all they'd have to do is either roll a new side, or pick a new side if it's not random.  That 5 on the board (above) is a rollable table with images of numbers 1-10. the images are yellow, but I added a red tint to the token to give it an orangey appearance. Ok, I think those are all the ideas I have at the moment. I hope it helps. :)
My apologies, I feel like I should clarify. I'm not the OP, just a random passerby that had the same issue as OP. As for choosing the card, yes, I do that, however they do not end up in order so when you have 50+ condition cards that is difficult. My own solution for this is to have a "map" where I have placed one of each card in alphabetic order on the table and "copy/paste" them to get an extra, then take it to my hand then handing it off to the player. As for why I personally do not use status icons that is simple; there aren't enough, they're not easy to link to any particular condition and, most important of all, it is almost impossible to memorize all the stuff that is supposed to be on all the condition cards :) And as for one card at a time, I wish it were so simple. Thanks for the suggestions though, I do appreciate the effort you took to write it all up and hopefully they will be of use to others who wander through here ;)