Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Dynamic Lighting glitch with circles

I am testing out the dynamic lighting feature on some maps, and I was using circles to represent tree trunks.  The problem is that the lighting treats them as having an opening on the left side, like a backwards C.  Also, they are treated as squares.  I'm running Windows 7 and using Roll20 in whatever the newest version of Firefox is. Also, I keep accidentally dropping tokens in the dynamic lighting layer.  Is this supposed to be possible?
Gid
Roll20 Team
This is a known issue. The Circle shape doesn't process properly with dynamic lighting (because it reads segment information). Your best bet is to draw a rounded shape with the freehand or polygon/line tool.
Apparently the freehand tool causes massive system resource usage with dynamic lighting; make a hexagon with the polygon tool instead. A circle is just a polygon with (technically infinite) sides, and the dynamic lighting tries to calculate each side individually! So don't do that.
Yeah, I knew about the freehand tool issue.
Gauss
Forum Champion
You can draw circles using the polygon/line tool. Here is a link to where I explained how to do it:&nbsp; <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/149172/atmosphere-with-dynamic-lighting#post-149596" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/149172/atmosphere-with-dynamic-lighting#post-149596</a> - Gauss
Masaioh said: Also, I keep accidentally dropping tokens in the dynamic lighting layer.&nbsp; Is this supposed to be possible? Yep. &nbsp;You can definitely put tokens on the Dynamic Lighting layer. &nbsp;You can even set them to emit light in case you don't want to have a visible object/token on the map. &nbsp;The token won't be visible, but the light it casts will be. &nbsp;I've used this trick on maps that have things like lava or mysteriously glowing fungus. :)
Sarah A. said: Masaioh said: Also, I keep accidentally dropping tokens in the dynamic lighting layer.&nbsp; Is this supposed to be possible? Yep. &nbsp;You can definitely put tokens on the Dynamic Lighting layer. &nbsp;You can even set them to emit light in case you don't want to have a visible object/token on the map. &nbsp;The token won't be visible, but the light it casts will be. &nbsp;I've used this trick on maps that have things like lava or mysteriously glowing fungus. :) So that's how you do it.&nbsp; I was wondering how to make the torches on a map emit light.
Gauss
Forum Champion
You can also drop light sources on the Map Layer. However, individualized light sources do not work on either the Map or DL layer. Only light sources that all players can see will work.&nbsp; - Gauss