Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Hiding rolls as GM?

Hello, I'm a little new at the GM game and after last week almost killing the party (It was a slight problem with some numbers that I made mistakes on and corrected), everyone agreed that they'd like to have me roll in secret. Well tonight's the second game, and I need some help adding a macro to the enemy character sheets that will let me see them and ONLY me. I'm not going to lie, I genuinely have no idea where to even start, as macros aren't my strong suit and never have been. If worst comes to worst, I'll copy the macro for each attack and add the gm roll to the front of it, but if I can avoid doing that it would be very helpful. Thank you to anyone that offers some help to this.
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
As there is no mention about which system or character sheet is being used, I will only mention (for now) that you can use the /w gm [[dice here]] for whispering inline dice rolls. This creates a smaller line result and allows you to hover over the results to see a popup of the entire roll mechanics.
My bad, I was a bit in a rush before. The game we're playing is Pathfinder, and we're using the standard Pathfinder sheets. 
You could always just use real dice on your desk. :D
HoneyBadger said: You could always just use real dice on your desk. :D Unfortunately I can't. We play at a later time than others might, and as such I would be disturbing family members ><
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Ok Adam, as I'm home and have access to my computer (instead of my phone) let me toss a few links up for you to read. Pathfinder roll20 Wiki page Useful roll20 macros for Pathfinder Macros in general Those three links should lead you to a wealth of information to read and absorb (if you have not found them yet). If you have more questions, just ask.
Adam C. said: HoneyBadger said: You could always just use real dice on your desk. :D Unfortunately I can't. We play at a later time than others might, and as such I would be disturbing family members >< Try a felt lined box. Might be quiet enough.
Okay, so in order, thank you for the links, but I'm afraid those aren't helpful. I can't exactly just get a felt lined box on short notice I'm afraid. Thank you for the suggestion though. Unfortunately, I think that I've been a bit lacking in description of what I'm looking for, and that is entirely my fault. What I'm looking for is an additional macro to add to the default attack rolls on the character sheets for NPCs, that will let me hide the rolls from the players. A friend of mine who has been GM before has suggested just redoing the rolls to make them the basic and not have the auto calculations like the sheets currently do, and I will do that if there's no other way this week, but I would like to be able to make it look a little nicer for next week if I can't find another way to do it this week.
It's probably not much help, but this is why I don't like using the available sheets. Least not the ones I've seen. They never seem to offer exactly what I'm looking for. What I would do is go through and write up a generic Journal for NPCs, and possibly a separate one for monsters...or to look at it another way, one you're going to use for fairly unique things (you might only have one Fire Wizard in an encounter, and you won't necessarily see another one for a while) and one to use for your mooks (you're going to have seven goblins in this encounter, and it's likely you'll need five or six more in the next encounter). Then fill them out with the attributes you want. For more unique NPCs/creatures I'd go more indepth with the attributes (all the six attributes, a separate Base Attack Bonus, almost like you would for a PC) and write up their macros. A lot of the time you can copy/paste the macros, which is nice (all of my NPCs have a macro titled Initiative, and it normally looks like [[1d20+@{DEX}&{tracker}]], though sometimes thinks like Improved Initiative are factored in.) For the mooks, just worry about a Hit Point ability, and maybe AC, so you can connect it to a token's bubbles and see it easily. Their macros will be simpler, something like "Dagger Attack [[1d20+5]] vs AC; [[1d4+2]] slashing damage." Though in your case you're going to want to put /w gm infront of everything. In short, putting /w gm infront of everything is basically your best bet...short of API scripting possibilities, which I have no idea on. Lastly...and I realize every group is different, all GMs are unique snowflakes of uniqueness...but I strongly recommend against rolling "behind the screen" for the sole purpose of being able to fudge dice. The more you play (and by play I mean by the given rules of the system you're using), the more skill you'll develop in balancing encounters, and the less you'll need to fudge.
Silvyre
Forum Champion
A few sheets (e.g. the D&D 5e Shaped Sheet) have added the ability to toggle whether Roll Templates output via sheet buttons are sent to the chat or whispered to the GM. As it's a simple addition, I'll bet its on the 'to-do list' for the authors of the Pathfinder sheet.

Edited 1450838639
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
Silvyre said: A few sheets (e.g. the D&D 5e Shaped Sheet) have added the ability to toggle whether Roll Templates output via sheet buttons are sent to the chat or whispered to the GM. As it's a simple addition, I'll bet its on the 'to-do list' for the authors of the Pathfinder sheet. Already added.  You can choose to whisper all PC rolls, and/or all NPC rolls, or whisper nothing...
Have you tried /talktomyself so nobody but you will see the rolls? They won't be saved in chat archive, however, if that is important. I made a macro with the /talktomyself command which I keep handy in my macro bar so I can toggle it on and off when needed.
Thank you Vince, your statement got me looking and I found it... I feel very stupid in not having found it prior, but thank you all the same. The problem is solved now, so thank you to everyone that has offered help.
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
Adam C. said: Thank you Vince, your statement got me looking and I found it... I feel very stupid in not having found it prior, but thank you all the same. The problem is solved now, so thank you to everyone that has offered help. Glad to help Adam.  Don't feel bad, although all rolls on the NPC tab have always been whispered, only recently did we add more options.  Have fun.
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
As the original question has been answered and the poster is satisfied, I will be closing the thread now. If there is a new question, please feel free to post it in a new thread.