Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Inline Macro Query help?

Trying to set up a query macro for a D&D 4e Area of Effect spell, which demands multiple attack rolls, but a single damage roll. Is there a way to use the new Query function to let the player triggering the macro input the number of attack rolls he needs to make? EX: Player casts a Area Burst 1 spell, which has the potential to hit up to "X" targets, according to placement. His attack bonus for that spell is 1d20+7, so he'd need to roll that "X" times, then make a single damage (2d10+8) roll that the DM would apply to any target that was hit.

Edited 1375825426
Gauss
Forum Champion
There is currently no way to tell the system to roll a given macro multiple times (exception: API can probably do it). The query system has not changed that. Sorry. - Gauss
Thanks Gauss. Is this something I could bring up (or you could move to) the Mentor's forum for consideration? I know I have API access, but I think this would be a useful non-API feature if possible.

Edited 1375827935
Gauss
Forum Champion
Feel free to make a suggestion in either the Suggestion or the Mentor forums. :) One note: You can 'stack' multiple inline dice rolls.  Example:  Macro name: #attack Macro output: [[1d20+7]] Chat box: #attack #attack #attack #attack #attack Chat box output: [[1d20+7]] [[1d20+7]] [[1d20+7]] [[1d20+7]] [[1d20+7]]  Chat result: 13 15 9 26 19 - Gauss
Yes, but I'd rather have the option to input a single number to represent the amount of targets via a roll Query, as that number will most likely vary per casting. Certainly workable via separate attack & damage macros as well, but as the DM of a paragon campaign, I've got so many macros that I'd prefer to simplify if at all possible.
Gauss
Forum Champion
I understand. It would be nice if you could do something like: 5(#Attack) and it rolls #attack 5 times - Gauss
Alex L.
Pro
Sheet Author
Gauss said: I understand. It would be nice if you could do something like: 5(#Attack) and it rolls #attack 5 times - Gauss I would agree some sort of repeat command would be nice.
I set up three macro's for my aoe spells in D&D 4e. Emote / 1st Attack Additional Attacks Damage When I use it, I click the E mote/1st Attack to start it and then use the second Additional Attacks macro for each target. Finally I click the Damage macro after making all the necessary attacks.