Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Spell and Power books using decks

Phoxounet
Sheet Author
Translator
Hi there ! I am currently using power cards  for powers and spells but I am not satisfied with the result (PowerCards is ok, but I don't want to use it this way). I am investigating the use of decks instead. So far, I created a deck for spells and I added few spells to it. However, I have a problem : the only way to choose or to review a card in a hand is to zoom it. Since the mage of the group already has 20+ spells, it can be really tricky to choose the correct spell to check. Is there a way to display the name of the card (mouse-over for example) in the deck and the player's hand ?
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Have you thought about making the cards into tokens so you can display the name and even have the level of the spell displayed in one of the bubbles?
Finderski
Pro
Sheet Author
Compendium Curator
Pat S. said: Have you thought about making the cards into tokens so you can display the name and even have the level of the spell displayed in one of the bubbles? That would only work once the card is on the table top.  It sounds like the difficulty is while the card is in the player's hand...it's hard to know if you are selecting the correct spell or not, because you have to zoom each card to see the spell. Phoxounet: Can you show us an example of what one of your cards looks like? How are you creating the power cards? It may just require a new layout for the card (if you creating them yourself in something like Gimp/Photoshop)...
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
G V. said: Pat S. said: Have you thought about making the cards into tokens so you can display the name and even have the level of the spell displayed in one of the bubbles? That would only work once the card is on the table top. &nbsp;It sounds like the difficulty is while the card is in the player's hand...it's hard to know if you are selecting the correct spell or not, because you have to zoom each card to see the spell. Phoxounet: Can you show us an example of what one of your cards looks like? How are you creating the power cards? It may just require a new layout for the card (if you creating them yourself in something like Gimp/Photoshop)... I made condition cards for my Pathfinder game and found I had to make the title of each card rather large in order to read them when selecting a card. &nbsp;I really wish we could insert editable text in our cards! &nbsp;shameless plug, please comment and or vote... ;-P &nbsp; Allow text inside Card Decks:&nbsp; <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/1292722/slug%7D" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/1292722/slug%7D</a>

Edited 1452740161
If you're trying to create a deck for all spells, perhaps it would be better organized as a separate deck for each Level of spells (or however your chosen system organizes them) to limit how many cards are in a given deck. I quickly learned while trying to do Drop-Down Query spell Grimoire for Pathfinder that it's just not feasible to manage so many entries in a single construct.

Edited 1452771845
Phoxounet
Sheet Author
Translator
Hi ! Thx for your answers. I absolutely cannot read the text in the decks when clicking on "Choose" in the deck options.&nbsp; Mark G. : I already made decks for different magic domains (fire, water, etc.) It would be really tricky to find the correct spell in different decks for domains AND levels. (moreover, in our game, there 100 lvls of magic, and lvls only give one spell. Your solution can't fit in my game, sorry.). What I regret is that we give names to cards. It could be really interesting to have this name displayed as a tooltip. For now, the only thing displayed in the deck when choosing a specific card whit a mouse-over is something like "drag to deal". :( Having the same thing e.g. name of the card as a tooltip could be usefull too in player's hand.)