Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Copy Individual Abilities from one Character to Another

Edited 1452777743
Is there a script that can copy individual abilities from one character to another? Is there a script that can create abilities in batches from a text file or something similar? I think The Aaron has something close with CharUtils v0.5 but it seems that copies all abilities. Is there anything similar that copies one or more abilities or that can add abilities to a character from a text file?
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
Character Utils v0.6.1 can copy a single ability from one character to one or more other characters using the !chardup-some command. &nbsp;You can find it here: &nbsp; <a href="https://github.com/shdwjk/Roll20API/blob/master/Ch" rel="nofollow">https://github.com/shdwjk/Roll20API/blob/master/Ch</a>... Example: !chardup-some --Initiative --Bob the slayer --Princess lightning --Mr Perkins --that guy This would copy the ability "Initiative" from "Bob the Slayer" to "Princess lightning", "Mr Perkins", and "that guy".
Awesome, thank you The Aaron! Now, do you know of a utility that will take a text file and create abilities on an existing character?
Also, I find that more often I want to copy multiple abilities (but not all) from one character to another. Is that possible? PS, tried the API and it works great.
Gold
Forum Champion
Sign me up. I'm glad you asked for this. I didn't even think of asking for this. Going to install this API script from The Aaron and start trying it out soon. &nbsp;I was just thinking I could make a default / holding-tank character with the Abilities that I want, and then selectively copy the correct abilities to each new incoming Player / Character. Rather than having 1 default template Character that is copied and then the name changed, that has all the abilities every time. Your way would be much neater.
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
I can do that. =D
Out of curiosity, is there a reason this does not allow copying Attributes? &nbsp;Mostly, I want the fields themselves, and not the values, but values could be useful.
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
Mainly because when I wrote it 2 years ago, people didn't use that many attributes, and creation of characters tended to follow the pattern: 1) create base character with all the attributes you use. 2) copy N times for each character/NPC you create. The copying of abilities came in with the leveling of characters, or equipping of different weapons, where you had subsets with disparate abilities you didn't want to copy by hand and couldn't pre-create on your base character. &nbsp;(This all predates character sheets, when the attributes exploded. =D)
The Aaron said: Mainly because when I wrote it 2 years ago, people didn't use that many attributes, and creation of characters tended to follow the pattern: 1) create base character with all the attributes you use. 2) copy N times for each character/NPC you create. The copying of abilities came in with the leveling of characters, or equipping of different weapons, where you had subsets with disparate abilities you didn't want to copy by hand and couldn't pre-create on your base character. &nbsp;(This all predates character sheets, when the attributes exploded. =D) That makes sense. &nbsp;TY for the explanation.
Hi Aaron Any progress on the following two items? 1. Copy multiple (but not all) abilities from one character to another 2. Create abilities in a character from a text file Thanks again for pointing out the capability to copy a single ability to multiple characters!
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
No, but it's on my list and I'll try to get it out soon. &nbsp;It's a pretty minor change, so maybe on my next coffee break... =D
That will be fantastic. Thank you!
Here is a quick summary of what I am looking for on the "Create abilities in a character from a text file" request. !chardup-add --character --text file The text file would have 2 flags 1 flag starts an ability name 2nd flag starts an ability description The flags would also need to trigger if "show in macro bar" or "show as token action" get toggled lastly, I use powercards, so request no conflicts with that if possible Example !chardup-add --Adventure --flag1C13door flag2/desc DOOR /desc A musty odor pervades the hall. The door is marked with crudely drawn pictures of monstrous eyes and fanged maws. flag1C13 flag2//desc BLACKMAW DEN /desc This room is filled with a rank reptilian smell and cluttered with tattered animal hides and dank straw. A battered iron brazier brimming with hot embers glows in the middle of the room. Half-gnawed, half-cooked carcasses are heaped beside the brazier. /w gm carcasses by the brazier include the remains of a fire cultist spy /w gm If the lizardfolk lose at least two of their number in a fight here, Tornscale sends one of the remaining warriors to warn Thuluna and summon help. which would look like this in the character
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
Something like that could be done, the command would have to look more like: !chardup-add {{ -- Adventure --Name C13door --Ability /desc DOOR /desc A musty odor pervades the hall. The door is marked with crudely drawn pictures of monstrous eyes and fanged maws. --Name C13 --Ability /desc BLACKMAW DEN /desc This room is filled with a rank reptilian smell and cluttered with tattered animal hides and dank straw. A battered iron brazier brimming with hot embers glows in the middle of the room. Half-gnawed, half-cooked carcasses are heaped beside the brazier. /w gm carcasses by the brazier include the remains of a fire cultist spy /w gm If the lizardfolk lose at least two of their number in a fight here, Tornscale sends one of the remaining warriors to warn Thuluna and summon help. }} The {{ and }} allow it to span multiple lines, otherwise each line would be interpreted as a different chat command and only the first one would be an API command.
That would be great This would not break it would it? This is a powercards macro. !chardup-add {{ --Logan --Name Greataxe-PA --Ability !power --name|@{selected|token_name} --Greataxe-PA|[[d20+3]]|[[d20+3]] (FeatGWM) --Hit|d12+15 [[d12+15]]|[[2d12]] magic slashing (FeatGWM, SavageAtk) --Rage|+2 dmg }} or this (note the {{ }} inside a {{ }} )? !chardup-add {{ --Logan --Name Greataxe-PA --Ability !power {{ --name|@{selected|token_name} --FEATURES| --AspectBeastElk|mounted/foot (not incap), u+10 allies in 60', x2 travel pace --DangerSense|AD DS v effect u see (xcpt if blind/ deaf/ incap) }} }}
maybe the --name in the powercards macro would conflict? May need to change --name in this to something else.
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
I'll have to think about it more... &nbsp;I actually have a Character Import/Export script I've been working on that I need to finish up that would be pretty good for this.
A&nbsp;good generic import/export script that can take things to and from text files would be amazing.&nbsp;We could parse in adventures (in the form of characters)&nbsp;and characters much faster.
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
Done with copying multiple abilities:&nbsp; <a href="https://github.com/shdwjk/Roll20API/blob/master/Ch" rel="nofollow">https://github.com/shdwjk/Roll20API/blob/master/Ch</a>... Just use something like: !chardup-some --ability 1|ability 2|ability 3 --source char name --dest char name 1 --dest char name 2 --dest char name 3 And not that partial matches are fine in all cases, so if you have an ability named "Mage Hand", you could just use --hand to specify it. &nbsp;Ditto characters, if you have a character named Bob the Slayer, you could use --bob.
The Aaron said: I'll have to think about it more... &nbsp;I actually have a Character Import/Export script I've been working on that I need to finish up that would be pretty good for this. The fabled Half-Life 3 of Roll20... I kid! :P I know you are good for it.&nbsp;
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
Hahahah.. It's an apt comparison. &nbsp;The reason there is no Half-Life 3 is because Value puts all the best programmers on what makes them the most money: Steam. &nbsp;Similarly, I have to split my time between what makes me the most money and what I want to be doing. &nbsp;=D
Thank you The Aaron! That worked great! I was able to add numerous spell macros to multiple characters in no time at all. I will have my eyes pealed for the character import/export. That would cut another big chuck out of my prep time and let me parse in adventures very fast!
Curious? Do you have a way to copy Attributes from one sheet to another?
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
Not in this script, but I could add it pretty easily.
The Aaron said: Not in this script, but I could add it pretty easily. Theoretically you could move info from one character sheet to the other doing this couldnt you?
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
Theoretically. Repeating groups might be complicated.&nbsp;
Hi The Aaron. The changes you made for this are working great! I use them all the time. Have you had any time to look at a script that will create one or more abilities from a text file as described above in this thread? That would also be a godsend.
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
Glad to hear it! I've not had a chance to swing back to the character import stuff, but will.
Hi The Aaron! Any news on this front? Thanks again for the work you did on the other parts, pays off every day almost.
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
Yeah, I think I have the bugs worked out, just need to polish the interface a bit. :)
How is it looking The Aaron? If you need any testing, I would be happy to help.