Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

It's a trap! Would it be possible to....

Would it be possible to add a way to activate search mode on a player token so they could have a chance to spot the trap based on their Search skill? Or course this should be done on the DM side. I was thinking an option to turn it on if a player declares they are searching or turn it on permanently for races like elves who are in search all the time. And to go further with it could a trigger be set to look for said search mode then do a Check against the players Search Skill vs the Traps DC for how well it is hidden if a DM wants to set a DC for it.
Kind of sounds like you're referring to 5E D&D's passive skills; like a passive perception or passive investigation type thing.  You could probably put a note on dm layer by setting the dc to find the trap; and either use the dynamic lightning or the aura's on tokens, so once the character token is within range of the trap; you could compare their passive skill check to the dc of the trap. 
Definitely possible. You would just need to have the players either set a status icon (like the eye for searching) or an attribute on their character sheet.
Actually Im refering to the 3.5 edition rules on Searching, and In 3.5 Elves are granted the ability of always being in active search mode. In 3.5 you had to be declare you were searching unless you are an elf. I guess I need a better understanding of how you use the player tokens. How does a player set an attribute on his Character sheet? The check would be a spot or search check depending on which is higher. Spot is passive where search as I said has to be activated unless your an elf. Also thanks for your reply, and if you could link me to where I can learn more about player tokens and linking skills to tokens that might help. Also my taught was that the trigger would temporarily lock all player tokens and give a warning to the player who made the check in chat, as I dont have access to Dynamic lighting yet. Maybe a ping on the map if possible.