Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Roll20 pegging my CPU usage at 99 but only when others are in room

I have been having this problem for a few weeks now (coincidentally after I upgraded to windows 10 I think) that when I'm online with other players, my CPU goes up to the high 90's and of course nothing else will load or act properly.  As soon as the other players leave the room, CPU usage goes down.  What can be going on, how can the other players in the room affect my CPU usage like that?
I should specify that I have no virus's or malware of any kind, it happens on Chrome or Opera, the two browsers I work with.  I have not had this problem before, not even on Opera despite it being unsupported.  My bandwidth speed is 29 mbps down and 5 mbps up. 
Gen Kitty
Forum Champion
Before we dive into the guts of the issue, we're going to need you to do a few things for us, things that sometimes fix issues for users before more extensive troubleshooting is needed. Can you please follow Steps 1-3 of our Solving Technical Issues checklist (confirm you're using the latest non-test version of Firefox or Chrome, and try using Firefox instead of Chrome/Opera; turn off all extensions, addons, and anti-virus; and clear your cache) to see if one of those components is causing the problem? We can only help if we can recreate your issue, so it is important that you follow each step. If doing that fixes the issue, just let us know. Otherwise, move on to Step 4 , and we'll need all that information, especially the console log starting from when you're alone and capturing what happens when people join you, to further assist you.
Just a thought with very little sleep... Have you tried various conditions, specifically coming to mind with and without audio/visual contact? I mean, try it once without and once with full roll 20 broadcast-to-others on, see if that affects the cpu usage. Not that I know what you'd do it if did or not, but it's a data point. -Phnord who shouldn't be posting at 5am
Stephen Koontz
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Scott, CPU to 100% is a common Windows 10 issue. It must not be playing well with your setup webcam and TokBox. If you google Windows 10 and 100% CPU you'll find dozens of posts with lots of different methods users have tired to resolve the issue.