Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

[D&D 5e] Comparing the D&D 5e Character Sheet to the D&D 5e Shaped Character Sheet

Edited 1453473958
So there are two solid Character sheets for D&D 5e campaigns, each with strengths. The Shaped Character Sheet is seeing lots of development focus from the community, while Actoba's awesome original Character Sheet hasn't been updated in awhile. Since I prefer the regular sheet for its simpler and less data-heavy setup process, I'd like to ask the community for a straight-forward comparison of the two sheets. I'd like to know: Is Actoba's sheet considered 'final form' insofar as it's simply a good sheet that achieved its design objectives, or did folks feel we needed a redesign for other reasons (such as the progression of Roll20 architecture, or attempts to create programmatic efficiency)? Are there 'bugs that matter' in the Regular Sheet? What breaks when you switch from the Regular Sheet to the Shaped Sheet? (In my own limited testing, it seems like lots of data is lost, esp. on the NPC side, which nukes my NPC stockpile.) Are some API sheet-dependent, for either PCs or NPCs? (esp. the API in the Script Index) It think that there's lots of value in being able to switch seamlessly from a simple, quick-to-complete character sheet to a more complex sheet as data tracking needs evolve during a campaign, and as players become more attuned to the... finer points... of D&D minutiae. Are there ways to mitigate data loss when migrating sheets (maybe through an API that collects and transfers the data)? Especially for DMs who like to stockpile NPC resources, it's a problem when sheet redesigns reconfigure all the data, such that you have to continually re-enter it. This defeats the whole purpose of character vaults. Thanks for helping!
3. I know there was some talk about an API for the shaped sheet to transfer to Sheet-Works based architecture but I have no idea what's happening with it.  A similar program could probably be used for the 5e sheet to the shaped. 4. The only API I'm aware of that works only with one sheet and not the other is the Shaped Sheet Importer for obvious reasons. I skipped questions 1 and 2 because I use the regular sheet only under protest.  I will say though that, with the release of the SRD, the shaped sheet importer program is probably going to go to next level usefulness when it comes to easily creating monsters.
I hope I'm not breaking any rules by saying this... Before you invest too heavily into either sheet, you should know that since 5e D&D went OGL the roll20 dev team is developing a character sheet that is supposed to be coming soon.  Pro subscribers have had access to it for a few days and those that didn't use the Shaped sheet love it because it's fast and clean (even more so than Actoba's sheet). I imagine that there will be API development for it as well. So if I were you, I would consider delaying any decision if possible. Note:  At the moment, going from the roll20 sheet to the Shaped sheet is not possible.  Though an API to assist in that could happen as well.
I exclusively use the Regular 5e sheet and it doesn't have any bugs that I have seen. I love it mostly because it's easier to manipulate, the tags are not hidden in the code and I can break apart the roll template easily. That being said it could use an update. I have PMed the creator to ask if there would be development but he has not responded, so I'm not sure if we will ever see it take advantage of the new sheet workers and java integration. Which is unfortunate.  I do keep an eye on the Shaped sheet and have a test campaign with it in use. Depending on how you set up your npc's it doesn't have to be horrible to switch. Most of the attributes are the same except for the NPCs as you have noticed. For my campaign I use the bar2 on the token for AC and have my own attack macros built around that. I don't use the buttons on the sheet which limits the dependency on the structure built in. If you do decide to switch the Shaped sheet has a really good API script for importing creatures and spells it even keeps track of ammo. The sheet works fine without the API, but if you are concerned about re-importing monsters then that's the way to do it.  My main complaint about the Shaped sheet is the layout and small text but the good news is that Kryx, the sheet creator, is working on a re-design to bring it more inline with the layout of the 5e paper sheet.  So I look forward to that and might switch in the future.
Three of Swords said: I hope I'm not breaking any rules by saying this... Before you invest too heavily into either sheet, you should know that since 5e D&D went OGL the roll20 dev team is developing a character sheet that is supposed to be coming soon.  Pro subscribers have had access to it for a few days and those that didn't use the Shaped sheet love it because it's fast and clean (even more so than Actoba's sheet). I imagine that there will be API development for it as well. So if I were you, I would consider delaying any decision if possible. Note:  At the moment, going from the roll20 sheet to the Shaped sheet is not possible.  Though an API to assist in that could happen as well. I wonder if that's the same sheet Kryx was mentioning, do you know if he's involved? Good news either way. Much excite!