Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Template macro or rollable table?

Hello.  I would like to have the standard Pathfinder weather table in my game, either as a clean and compact template macro or a clean and compact rollable table. Ideally, it would either roll and select straight the weather and conditions, or alternatively it would list in a compact and clean manner the full list (from Pathfinder website under the weather section) with all the conditions stacked neatly for reference and perform couple of d100 rolls for the right areas. Could someone help me write a proper weather macro or instruct me how to clean up how the default rollable table looks like? (I cant stand how cluttered it makes the chat look like).  Any tips or help is appreciated. I've spend half of today trying out the macros and rollable tables, and a weather system (without APIs as I'm a free user) would make a difference (could also use a calendar system, but that is even more impossible for me). Thank you.
Lithl
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
You can roll on a rollable table with an inline roll: [[1t[weather]]] You can put inline rolls into any roll template.

Edited 1453865606
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
As Brian suggested create a ( rollable table )"Weather Table" based off of the  PF table with the appropriate weight/chance per condition and then create a macro to roll on the table something like: &{template:pf_generic}{{name=Weather Report}}{{Current Conditions=[[1t[Weather]]] }} You could create a separate table for each type of climate as well and use a query to choose the appropriate table to roll from.  Insert something like this in your macro for Current Conditions: ?{Climate?|Normal, [[1t[Weather]]]|Cold, [[1t[Cold]]]|Temperate, [[1t[Temperate]]]|Desert, [[1t[Desert]]]} Haven't tested the query, apologies if it's a little off, but you get the idea. I believe Aaron has a  Calendar script if you would like to step up to Pro.  ;-P
Hey, thank you for the replies. I was able to set up the "Normal Weather" table and the macro to roll from it just fine, but I seem to have some trouble getting the query added. If you could be kind enough to show me what the whole macro should look like with the query added, I would appreciate it a ton. I have the climate tables set up (Cold, Temperate, Desert) in addition to the Weather table (normal, abnormal, inclement.. etc), but due to my limited understanding of macros, I cannot figure out how I get the climate ones to pick the right "slot" after having rolled for the weather. Say I choose Temperate Climate from the query and it rolls 'Powerful Storm' on the weather table, how do I make it choose to display Windstorm, blizzard, hurricane, tornado? Thanks again.  

Edited 1453915446
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
Looking at the table, you probably could just ignore the Weather column.  Seems like a generalization and I would be more concerned with the specifics, or rather the type of weather given by climate... For completeness, we can include all 4 columns = 4 tables. (weather, cold, temperate, and desert) each table should include 5 rows of description with the appropriate weighted averages. example of a table for Weather Avg Type 70 Normal Weather 10 Abnormal Weather 10 Inclement Weather 9 Storm 1 Powerful Storm Basic weather macro using 4 tables &{template:pf_generic}{{name=Weather Report}}{{Current Conditions=?{Climate?|Weather, [[1t[Weather]]]|Cold, [[1t[Cold]]]|Temperate, [[1t[Temperate]]]|Desert, [[1t[Desert]]]}}} If you're not using the Pathfinder(tabbed) sheet, you can use the default roll template as well &{template:default}{{name=Weather Report}}{{Current Conditions=?{Climate?|Weather, [[1t[Weather]]]|Cold, [[1t[Cold]]]|Temperate, [[1t[Temperate]]]|Desert, [[1t[Desert]]]}}} Or, just paste the image above in a handout and roll openly.  ;-)
Awesome! Thanks bunches, works wonders. I was able to tweak around a little. It displays Temperature, Wind and Conditions separately as well. I don't suppose it is anyway possible for the macro to know what was rolled and give a small chat note based on that? Like, if I wanted to include a note about changes to game rules separately based on what was rolled? Say it rolls thunderstorm, is there a way to have another box that displays information relevant to the game rules? (Like perception check modifiers, etc). The same box would have different information changing based on the outcome of roll. Thanks, you're helping out a lot!
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
Memm said: Awesome! Thanks bunches, works wonders. I was able to tweak around a little. It displays Temperature, Wind and Conditions separately as well. I don't suppose it is anyway possible for the macro to know what was rolled and give a small chat note based on that? Like, if I wanted to include a note about changes to game rules separately based on what was rolled? Say it rolls thunderstorm, is there a way to have another box that displays information relevant to the game rules? (Like perception check modifiers, etc). The same box would have different information changing based on the outcome of roll. Thanks, you're helping out a lot! You're welcome. Once the roll is made to chat there really isn't any way to use the result to perform other actions.  There are probably API scripts(Pro perk) that can handle such logic. You can add more text to your table rows. So instead of just "Normal Weather", it could be "Normal Weather - the weather is calm with blue skies overhead."  If you are going to use the longer text with the pf_generic roll template, try changing "Current Conditions=?..." to "description=**Current Conditions:** ?... "  in your macro.(see below)  This will work better for multi-line text output.  You're still stuck with the inline roll formatting(white on black block) on your text(usually inline rolls are for dice), but I don't think that can be avoided.   Cheers &{template:pf_generic}{{name=Weather Report}}{{description=**Current Conditions:** ?{Climate?|Weather, [[1t[Weather]]]|Cold, [[1t[Cold]]]|Temperate, [[1t[Temperate]]]|Desert, [[1t[Desert]]]}}}