Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Assistant GM: It's my first day!

So I just finished a session that I helped the GM set up, but am also playing in as a character. There were a few hiccups but it went rather well on the whole. So, the first thing we did was, we shared a modified version of the Pathfinder sheet (new version). I moved some stuff around, added a few things, tried to remove others but didn't try too hard for fear of breaking things, but it works. I had to copy my file into a word document, then email it to him, and he had to copy it into his game. This was done twice, once for the HTML and once for the CSS. It worked, first try. Just a little more effort than I might have liked, but I see the reason to only allow the creator to modify this file. +1 for that Next, the API script. Having checked with some of the creators, I found out you can just have one big API script monstrosity, with all the various API offerings in one file. So that went easily enough. Easier than the previous step, by far. As a co-GM can access the API. Which is nice. +1 for that, too. Once inside, I do my best to not look at his maps or anything; I don't want to give myself any spoilers for the game to come. So we've got a 'splash page', a useful tip from the forums that carries over quite nicely into this situation. I can do all my stuff on this page without bumping into anything he's got planned for the actual game. +1 for this However, the next part didn't go so well. Importing characters, specifically monsters, through the character vault. It worked, sort of. At first it seemed to work wonderfully, as I opened up the vault and imported a character: This campaign, scroll down, find the character, click import. Then Export it... click here, find the campaign, verify, done. Check in the game window, and there it is in the journals, a Bugbear. Nice! Drag it onto the map, Bugbear turns to Bugbear 1, so the API scripts are working. Nice! Now to bring in everything else... Import character... click. Wait for page to load. Choose a game... click that. Scroll down. Find campaign. Click. Wait for page to load. Available characters... click that. Scroll down. Scroll down some more. I've got a lot of sheets in my game. Scroll down some more... Bat. Click that. Click "Import Character." Wait for page to load. It's in the vault! Scroll down, find the bat. Export to game, click. Dropdown box appears, click. Scroll down to new game. Click. Export to game. Click. Wait for page to load. Rinse and repeat. I only did 10 or so critters and I was exhausted by the time I was done! But, at least it worked. I dunno how this would be better without going to a file system, multi-drag-and-drop type of thing would be helpful. Then again, it's designed only to be used for one or two characters at a time, so there is that. 0 points for this one, too tiresome. So now everything's set up, right? Wrong. The tokens don't work. Weird. No token actions at all. The sheets seem to work... Ah. The tokens, with all the proper values and settings, drag from the journal onto the map properly. But the are no longer linked to the character sheet, as a token. So, none of the token actions are attached to them, and none of the other stats are stored; only the three bars, and the multi-sided token thing. Which is awesome, using a rollable table, I highly recommend it! So, each token, dragged onto map, re-linked, re-named (because API), saved, open character sheet, edit, replace default token, save. This, I don't think is working as intended. It may just be something y'all overlooked, because it's probably not used that was nearly as much by other people. So, bug, probably, needs to be squished, probably. Very annoying. -1 point for this one. NOW everything is set up right. Let's bring in the macros! Oops... I can't make macros as an assistant GM! Seriously. I have the 'show macro quick bar' button. But there is no [ADD] button to make my own. AND I cannot edit macros made by the GM (found this out later.) I can make macros, however, as a player. Which the GM can then see and modify. And when I return from as-player status, I can see and use them, but still cannot modify them. So, we had to have me copy-paste the text version of the macro into a journal entry, and the GM made each of the macros from that. There were only about 4-5 of them so that wasn't so bad. Probably a bug? Seems a VERY weird limitation to the co-GM's powers if so! -1 points. Mildly annoying but I ran out of half-points to give. NOW everything is set up right! And, ya know what? It actually is. During character creation, I was able to help the GM take care of mechanical things as he dealt with talking to the players. Setting up tokens to character sheets and whatnot. Probably saved quite a bit of time there, having two sets of hands working on things. And in gameplay, things worked exactly as expected, the same way they worked in my own game. We were quite pleased that it was possible to do this. And the GM is happy he didn't have to go to all the work of setting things up, when I had a perfectly good setup right here! So a +1 for that, and the entire experience gets two stars! Would co-GM again. Would NOT set up entire campaign toolkit for any lesser friend (well, unless money's involved!) Good work, Roll20, you never cease to amaze me. -Phnord, the guy who spends way too much time here.
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
I co-gm'd a Game with a friend for about a year and found it to be loads of fun.  In my case, I was running minor details of combat, working with player's on their characters and game settings, building maps and setting up DL (good for me to do because he's blind!), and of course, scripting all the things. =D  I setup the original campaign so I could deal with character sheets and transmogrify in maps and critters from other games. In a game I play in, I've setup "characters" for all the area effect spells I use and have imported them over with the Character Vault. I did not experience the unlinked tokens problem though.  Weird. -The Aaron, a guy who also spends way way way too much time here.. probably... (and happy Valentine's Day!)