Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Finishing a tileset for the marketplace

Robert R.
Plus
Marketplace Creator
Hey everyone.  I've just about finished a rather large tile set for the marketplace, and I had a few questions about what folks would like to see in their grids; I should note I am mostly a fan of gridless games, but am using these extensively to map areas for easier roleplay reference so they are being play tested actively.  - Resolution:  I am currently using 256x256 images opposed to the recommended 192.  The level of detail is a vast improvement and I've found that performance is not impacted on my rig.  Would people prefer 192, or another resolution (as they are sourced from my 512x512 FPS level textures)?  Would people prefer two versions?  - Pack Size:  Currently I have nearly 3 times the normal tiles found in a map pack.  Would people prefer one larger pack, two smaller packs, or both to contain these?  Notably while a few dozen alternate versions are included most are entirely unique textures.  - Organization:  Does anyone have requests for a naming system that would help them find the parts they are looking for? I plan to begin the process of getting it on the Marketplace this Tuesday.  I am very open to suggestions on these matters, and anything else people might like to see.
It might help if we knew what type of tiles pack you were releasing:  Modern, fantasy, sci-fi?  Town, outdoor, interior, dungeon, cavern?  All of the above? Something I've always wanted are some nice "edge" tiles that fade well into other terrain types.  Example:  A grass tiles that is seamless with another full-sized grass tile, but when combined with a badlands tile, it transitions into that tile well.  Then of course you'd need multiple 'corner' tiles to support a seamless edge.  So it might get complicated. Pack size:  Personally I prefer smaller packs.  I'm willing to pay $5 if there are only a few tiles I'd use, but really want them.  But if I'm going to pay more than that I have to want most of the tiles.
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
Over the weekend, I create a map using Gabriel Pickard's  Red Cap's Maps: Construction Set . The naming convention he used was fantastic for practical use.  Here's why: 1) All tiles have a short set specific name:   RCM .  That means putting "Gabriel RCM" in the search immediately gets me all of the tiles in the set and nothing else. 2) Tiles that work together have short name with them like Room , Ledge , Cave , Opening , Pool , Stairs , etc.  That means when working on the cave portions of the map, i can just search on "Gabriel RCM Cave" and get just the subset of tiles for that task 3) All the tiles have the size in Units on them: 3x3 , 3x1 , 9x11 , 11x9 , etc.  That lets me add the tiles to the map and rapidly adjust them to the right aspect ratio and size relative to the other tiles.  (I have a script I used, go figure... =D).  Additionally, if I knew I wanted a piece of a particular size, I could just look for the size or some part of it: "Gabriel RCM Cave 3x" I think if you used a similar naming scheme (provided your tiles are intended to be used in a similar fashion), you can't go wrong.