Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Waypoints and Spans

MapTool uses "Waypoints" to measure around turns and corners. This is obviously helpful functionality that I really miss in Roll20. I'd love to see it added and I am certain that it has been mentioned elsewhere, read on. It occurred to me that with a slight modification, waypoints could increase the utility of even straight-line measurements! Let's say, for instance, that a waypoint is dropped by pressing the space bar while measuring. You could specify *other* waypoint tools that would alter the measurement in helpful ways. For example, pressing Alt while measuring might drop a waypoint and double all measurement after that waypoint until another Alt waypoint is dropped. The ability to measure double movement for a span would help with a number of games that modify movement or cover for a span. The conventional way to approach this is to try and include movement rules on the map, but I think this system is much simpler and more versatile!
Owen, this is the first time a solution to incorporate movement costs seems workable. All others include automating the costs, which seems almost impossible. With the possibility to set different costs with waypoints, the player (or GM) controls the costs "on the fly", which avoid the need to prepare maps with all the differents costs factored beforehand. Good idea, I think, if it is possible to set more than simple and double costs (maybe hitting a number when setting the waypoint?).
Well, I'd be happy with just double cost, myself. But they could use just two keys to make the cost go "up" and "down", then just put "x3" or "x1/2" on the waypoint itself. Yeah, automating movement costs (with a cost "mask" layer like lighting) is something I tried to implement in MapTool. I think someone else has done it, actually, but it's tough to imagine that being worth the constant setup, when you could just do it with the ruler itself.
Any news on this?