Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Campaign level default Diagonals distance based on selected system.

TL;DR: Use the ruleset you chose when creating your campaign to populate a campaign-level "Default diagonal" setting, which can be over-ridden. When creating a map, this default is used to set the diagonal distance, when can again be over-ridden on a per-map basis. I find it annoying to change the diagonals distance every time a create a new map, and with the current default using the 4E "people move 30% faster when traveling in non-cardinal directions" system that no other ruleset I've played uses, this is a constant annoyance. I was going to suggest just changing the default, but that might annoy 4E players, and other rule systems might well exist that uses the 4E diagonals that I don't know about. The solution seems to be to just query some info that Roll20 already knows (What game system you are running) and set the default accordingly. Ideally, the default could be over-ridden in the campaign settings, for those that don't like the official diagonal rules of the system they are running. Yes, some work-arounds exist (Creating a blank map, setting the diagonal, and then copying that map to create all other maps comes to mind) but they are a pain, and I think using the existing info to set a default is a far more elegant solution.
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Great suggestion, as a short term workaround check out the  Master Map Default script from The Aaron (second in Vince's list). As a pro user you can install it to relieve your frustrations until such a feature is made part of the core Roll20 VTT.
Thanks for the suggestion! After 30 days, Suggestions and Ideas with fewer than 10 votes are closed and the votes are refunded to promote freshness. Your suggestion didn't build the right momentum this time, but feel free to submit it again! We find that the best suggestions describe the problem you are having, and the solution you want. You can learn more about the process of making suggestions on the Roll20 Wiki! More details can be found here .