Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Problem using " | " in attribute and character names.

vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
Recently I came across an attribute on a sheet that was using " attr_HP | max} " as an attribute name.  This caused problems when assigning the attribute a max value and later trying to pull the max for token linking and macros. Aside from reserved commands such as "select" and "target", I assume the editor interprets the first  " | " as the end of an attribute's name...  I was able to work around this issue by replacing the attribute all together, but that got me thinking that the attribute should have never been allowed to use " | " in it's name.  Granted, this only seems to be an issue when combined with a max value, however I also noticed a similar issue if using " | " in a character's name.  Ability/token macros fail, assuming " | " indicated the end of the character's name. Funny enough, you can use } as a substitute within a character's name and ability/token macros will function. Similar to substituting special characters for queries.  Again, not that big of a deal.  Maybe a mention in the wiki and/or a check could be made?
Phil B.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Thanks for pointing this out, Vince. It is definitely something we should be handling, either not allowing it or doing something to make sure it doesn't break anything (probably just not allowing it. I'll go ahead and add it to our bug list, and we'll take a look at it when we get a chance.
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
Thanks Phil.  Cheers