Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

[3.5E] Using the Templated Attacks

Edited 1457784539
Andrew C
Marketplace Creator
Just wondering... When using the D&D Attack Template for NPCs... is there a way to make it do a full attack set by default? As in... Thing with Many Legs attacks!!! (5x separate leg attacks run) Because I don't get that to work for me using the templates.  There is a 'full attack' setting, but making it "1" instead of "0" seems to do nothing. Currently I'm just running multiple copies of a single attack template inside a single macro.
Diana P
Pro
Sheet Author
The full attack flag is based on the same code that looks for crits basically if a roll is a non-maximum, you don't see the rest of the attacks, if it is a max (or any other crit result) you do see them.  But it has to be a roll.  So, I typically set it to {{fullattackflag=[[d1]] }} to force a full attack.  However, [[d10cs>0]] would also work even if it would look a little odd. :) In case you are wondering, it's set that way specifically so you can use the same macro for either a single or full attack with the query like the full attack examples use. :)
Andrew C
Marketplace Creator
Thanks Diana, I thought I was getting it wrong somehow.
Diana P
Pro
Sheet Author
no problem. Happy gaming!
Andrew C
Marketplace Creator
Hey Diana... Are there plans for building a kind of 'hints and tips' page for the [3.5E] Version of Roll20?
Diana P
Pro
Sheet Author
I really have not played with the wiki much at all but.. what kind of hints and tips would be needed and/or wanted? we do have : <a href="https://wiki.roll20.net/Dungeons_and_Dragons_3.5" rel="nofollow">https://wiki.roll20.net/Dungeons_and_Dragons_3.5</a> Information about the roll templates is at the bottom of the character sheet itself (though I guess I could maybe try to clarify the fullattackflag better and maybe update the query example on it to be the current version with the drop-down instead of the outdated version). I guess I could maybe figure out how to throw together a page about the character sheet, but what should be on it?
Andrew C
Marketplace Creator
Diana&gt; Want a collaborator in such an endeavour? &nbsp;Plenty of PnP D&D, not so much Roll20...
I would appreciate some&nbsp;annotations about the roll template CSS, like if I want to tweak fontsize or colors in them. Thanks!
Diana P
Pro
Sheet Author
Rabulias said: I would appreciate some&nbsp;annotations about the roll template CSS, like if I want to tweak fontsize or colors in them. Thanks! But would that just be better as annotations in the CSS file itself instead of on a separate wiki page?&nbsp;
Diana P
Pro
Sheet Author
Andrew said: Diana&gt; Want a collaborator in such an endeavour? &nbsp;Plenty of PnP D&D, not so much Roll20... Certainly!&nbsp; In fact, from what I understand anyone can edit most? of the wiki pages so if there's anything on the existing page that should be added, anyone can easily do so.&nbsp; I know that Ziechael had added some of the macro stuff last year. The main reason I hadn't put a page up for the sheet was I didn't/don't know what to put on it and I try to put most of the information you would need to use the sheet embedded into the sheet itself (mouse overs and the write-up about the templates at the bottom of the page etc). But I know that writing user manuals/figuring out what should be clarified or highlighted is not my strong point.
Andrew C
Marketplace Creator
Didn't realise it was a 'totally open' wiki as such.

Edited 1457930022
Diana P
Pro
Sheet Author
*nod*&nbsp; I've made at least one edit on the wiki (on the roll template page in fact; typo correction stuff :) and I have not requested any special privileges to do so. Mind you, the mods will remove privs and take down stuff when people have abused it and a few of the main pages can't be edited iirc.&nbsp; Otherwise, we are allowed to put up information that would be useful.
Andrew C
Marketplace Creator
<a href="https://wiki.roll20.net/Dungeons_and_Dragons_3.5#Reference_of_Commonly_Used_Attributes" rel="nofollow">https://wiki.roll20.net/Dungeons_and_Dragons_3.5#Reference_of_Commonly_Used_Attributes</a>
Diana P
Pro
Sheet Author
Excellent. &nbsp;Thank you! I updated the names you weren't sure about and added a few more attributes as well as a note on the bottom of the PC attribute section about mousing over the field to get the attributes name (though not sure if that maybe shouldn't be moved to the bottom of the whole attribute section (below the NPC stuff). Should I add a link there to the GitHub repositories for the character sheet template code?
Diana P
Pro
Sheet Author
Rabulias , I have some additional annotations to the CSS file uploaded in my fork of the repository here: <a href="https://github.com/suldae/roll20-character-sheets/" rel="nofollow">https://github.com/suldae/roll20-character-sheets/</a>... Is that what you are looking for? I haven't pushed it live yet because I'm still working on getting things in the html functioning the way I want: I've added sheet workers to calculate encumbrance, equipment weight and cost totals, and stat bonuses.&nbsp; Still working on getting it to set the sheet up when it is first opened so the user doesn't have to go through and adjust things to get it to make the changes.&nbsp; Right now it works the way I want some of the time so still a bit more work needed. :)
Andrew C
Marketplace Creator
Maybe we could set up a separate tab on the Wiki for the Templates and some "Tips and Tricks" for them. I never would have guessed that [[d1]] was the solution, I just assumed 0 = off, 1 = on.
Diana P
Pro
Sheet Author
Ok.&nbsp; Maybe tomorrow I can figure out how to get a new page for that (unless you do it for me :) and I guess for a start, copy the info from the Roll Templates area at the bottom of the character sheet there.&nbsp; It does specify the [[d1]] down there but perhaps it's not emphasized enough since it's in the second paragraph and not really highlighted.&nbsp; And there's a *lot* of information in that section.&nbsp; And it's hidden unless you go look for it and expand the section.
Andrew C
Marketplace Creator
Yeah that's kind of what I was thinking. It doesn't have to be a whole new page. &nbsp;It could just be its own section below. D&D3.5E Roll Templates = Template Type = == What it does == === How you make it do it === == Tips and Hints for this one == = Template Type 2 = ... and repeat
Diana P
Pro
Sheet Author
Ok.&nbsp; There's some kind of Roll Template section up now.&nbsp; It might need more work but it's a start. :)
Thanks, Diana and Andrew. This helps clarify things greatly for me. After reading through your efforts (and doing some monkeying around with the CSS) I think I have a better&nbsp;grasp on things. Do I have this right? All the roll templates (except attacks and initiative) use the StdRoll roll template, modified by the flags, so they all use the same CSS for the various elements? Thanks again for all of this.
Diana P
Pro
Sheet Author
Yes Rabulias, that is correct.&nbsp; The StdRoll template is the "generic" template. And technically, all the templates can use the flags (but the initiative template does not have the divider in it so you only get the color changes in that one.&nbsp; The flags are redefined individually for each of the 3 templates, however. :)
Andrew C
Marketplace Creator
Hey Diana... Stupid idea. Could you adapt the "Notes" module into a kind of attacks module in the NPC sheet? In the PC Notes tab, you can 'add a note', 'name a note', 'make the note' and something like that might work well for NPC attacks when they have multiple options.
Diana P
Pro
Sheet Author
Andrew, I could, but I won't change any of the current fields at this point in time.&nbsp; For several reasons.&nbsp; First and foremost, the moment I change the npcattack, npcattackmacro, npcfullattack, and/or npcfullattackmacro field(s) to a repeating section, the information currently in it "disappears".&nbsp; So everyone loses the attacks they've typed in on their current npcs.&nbsp; Second, I don't want to change the npcattack or npcfullattack fields because I'm still hoping we eventually get a 3.5 Compendium.&nbsp; I've tried to set up the NPC section so that it matches the fields in the SRD in the hopes that I can then add the code to allow the drag-and-drop like the D&D5.0 sheet/compendium allow.&nbsp; I know it's theoretically possible to use the sheet workers to do some processing on the data to split things out, etc., but frankly, I don't know javascript well enough nor am a good enough programmer to write a script which can figure out how to take the attack field, figure out how many attacks are in it, create that many rows in the repeating section, split the information into those attacks, and then put them in the fields. Also, I don't particularly want to change the npcattackmacro or npcfullattackmacro fields because those are the fields I actually interact with and I tend to use macros to do so.&nbsp; So they might hold my attack macro: &{template:DnD35Attack} {{name=@{selected|token_name}}} {{subtags=attacks @{target|token_name} }} {{npcflag=true}}&nbsp; {{fullattackflag=[[d1]]}} {{fumbleroll=Fumble:[[d20]]}} {{attack1=He swings a morning star, hitting [[{d20cs&gt;20 +2}&gt;@{target|bar2}]] time.&nbsp; }} {{critconfirm1=Possible crit; hits [[{d20 +2}&gt;@{target|bar2}]] time. }} {{damage1= [[d6]] dmg.}} {{critdmg1=+[[d6]] crit dmg.}} {{attack2=------ or ------}} {{attack3=He throws a javelin, hitting [[{d20cs&gt;20 +3}&gt;@{target|bar2}]] time.}} {{critconfirm3=Possible crit; hits [[{d20 +3}&gt;@{target|bar2}]] time. }} {{damage3= [[d4]] dmg.}} {{critdmg3=+[[d4]] crit dmg. }} and I use a token action with something like /w gm @{selected|npcfullattackmacro} to run it.&nbsp; I really don't want to invalidate all my current macros. :) If I were to add an additional field-set like that to the NPC sheet, where would be the best place to put it?&nbsp; At the bottom under the combat notes field?&nbsp; Perhaps under special attacks?&nbsp; An additional area under attack or under full attack?&nbsp; I don't think there should be 3 separate areas. And what fields should it contain?&nbsp; Name, area for the attack?&nbsp; Name, attack bonus, attack type, damage?&nbsp; A notes section?&nbsp; A macro field and a roll button? At this point in time, I tend to think that this might be better suited for a custom character sheet rather than the community one.
Andrew C
Marketplace Creator
I was just thinking that in "Attack" and "Full Attack" you could 'list out' the different attacks so that the macro can do its thing without requiring lots of sub edits. So from a userflow point it would go something like this: = Attack = == Attack Option 1 == [attack bonus] [name] [damage] [crit threat] [crit multiplier] == Attack Option 2 == [attack bonus] [name] [damage] [crit threat] [crit multiplier] = Full Attack Set 1= == Attack 1 == [attack bonus] [name] [damage] [crit threat] [crit multiplier] == Attack 2 == [attack bonus] [name] [damage] [crit threat] [crit multiplier] ... xn repeats = Full Attack Set 2 = ((As above)) Then npcattackmacro would operate by saying: Query Box "Choose attack from [list], 1 = first, [n] = last:" (run through attack options to find the one with the name npcattackn) then input that attack into the existing macro. Similarly for npcfullattackmacro. These are some examples from MMI where I think that sort of system would be easier for people to use when running their 'monsters' and making the setup easier. It would make it easier for things with say... claw and bite attacks who could do either in an Attack, but both and with multiples in a Full Attack. Take Barghest (Bite + 2 claws, MMI, pp22-23), Carrion Crawler (8 tentacles + bite in a Full Attack, MMI, p30), Drider (Bite or Dagger or Shortbow, 2 daggers + bite or shortbow as a full attack, MMI, pp89-90)
Diana P
Pro
Sheet Author
Sorry, this is not trivial. I can't build macros with an unknown number of possibilities.&nbsp; Nor can I build a macro which says "pick a row" and it fills in all the information for me.&nbsp; To build a single macro capable of handling everything in a fieldset, I would have to decide how many attacks max I want to build for and then it would run something like: &{template:DnD35Attack} {{name=@{selected|token_name} }} {{subtags=attacks @{target|token_name} }} {{npcflag=true}} {{fullattackflag=[[0d1]] }} {{fumbleroll=Fumble:[[d20]] }} ?{which attack?|@{selected|repeating_npcattack_$0_npcattackname}, {{attack1=@{selected|repeating_npcattack_$0_npcattackname} hits AC [[1d20cs&lt;@{selected|repeating_npcattack_$0_npcattackcritthreat} +@{selected|repeating_npcattack_$0_npcattackbonus} ]] &amp;#125;&amp;#125; {{critconfirm1= Crit? [[1d20+@{selected|repeating_npcattack_$0_npcattackbonus) ]]&amp;#125;&amp;#125; {{damage1= [[ @{selected|repeating_npcattack_$0_npcattackdamagedienumber}d@{selected|repeating_npcattack_$0_npcattackdamagedie} +@{selected|repeating_npcattack_$0_npcattackdamagebonus} ]] &amp;#125;&amp;#125; {{critdmg1= + [[ (@{selected|repeating_npcattack_$0_npcattackcritmult}-1) * @{selected|repeating_npcattack_$0_npcattackdamagedienumber}d@{selected|repeating_npcattack_$0_npcattackdamagedie} +((@{selected|repeating_npcattack_$0_npcattackcritmult}-1) * @{selected|repeating_npcattack_$0_npcattackdamagebonus}) ]] &amp;#125;&amp;#125; |@{selected|repeating_npcattack_$1_npcattackname}, &nbsp;&nbsp; {{attack1=@{selected|repeating_npcattack_$1_npcattackname} hits AC [[1d20cs&lt;@{selected|repeating_npcattack_$1_critthreat} &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; +@{selected|repeating_npcattack_$1_npcattackbonus} ]] &amp;#125;&amp;#125; &nbsp;&nbsp; {{critconfirm1= Crit? [[1d20+@{selected|repeating_npcattack_$1_npcattackbonus) ]]&amp;#125;&amp;#125; &nbsp;&nbsp; {{damage1= [[ @{selected|repeating_npcattack_$1_npcattackdamagedienumber}d@{selected|repeating_npcattack_$1_npcattackdamagedie} &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; +@{repeating_npcattack_$1_npcattackdamagebonus} ]] &amp;#125;&amp;#125; &nbsp;&nbsp; {{critdmg1= + [[ (@{selected|repeating_npcattack_$1_npcattackcritmult}-1) * &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; @{selected|repeating_npcattack_$1_npcattackdamagedienumber}d@{selected|repeating_npcattack_$1_npcattackdamagedie} &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; +((@{selected|repeating_npcattack_$1_npcattackcritmult}-1) * &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; @{selected|repeating_npcattack_$1_npcattackdamagebonus}) ]] &amp;#125;&amp;#125; } And that is only 2 attacks.&nbsp; And to calc crit damage correctly, I had to split the damage field into damage die number, damage die, and damage bonus.&nbsp; And that doesn't even allow for a damage like 2d8 + 1d6 fire.&nbsp; This is also throws many many errors due to missing values for rows which have not yet been created; if I build for 3 attacks and you only enter two,&nbsp; so the macro will have to be edited to work and this macro is extremely unreadable.&nbsp; (Not to mention that even with a test fieldset and a couple of hours of playing, I haven't been able to get it to work correctly.) Honestly once you get to that point, you now have an attack section which is as or more complicated than the weapons tab under the PC side and might as well use that for the attacks. That would at least allow you to run a gm macro like: /w gm &{template:DnD35StdRoll} {{name=@{selected|token_name} attacks}} {{ [@{selected|weapon1name} ](~selected|weapon1attack) = [@{selected|weapon2name} ](~selected|weapon2attack) }} {{ [@{selected|weapon3name} ](~selected|weapon3attack) = [@{selected|weapon4name} ](~selected|weapon4attack) }} {{ [@{selected|weapon5name} ](~selected|weapon5attack) = [@{selected|weapon6name} ](~selected|weapon6attack) }} which won't break every time you try to edit it and the html entities break.&nbsp; Sorry, but I don't think I'll be adding this at this time.
Andrew C
Marketplace Creator
It's not a problem. I'm just unaware of the limitations of the CSS and the Macro system. &nbsp;My last dedicated programming was QBasic. :P

Edited 1458381015
Andrew C
Marketplace Creator
Any chance that there are specific fields for these or do they need to be calculated? <a href="https://wiki.roll20.net/Dungeons_and_Dragons_3.5#NPC_or_Monsters" rel="nofollow">https://wiki.roll20.net/Dungeons_and_Dragons_3.5#NPC_or_Monsters</a>
Diana P
Pro
Sheet Author
At the moment there are no specific fields for the ability bonuses for NPCs so they would have to calculated.&nbsp; Very tentative plans to add fields for those and roll macros for them as well as the saves but unlikely to go in anytime soon.