Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Macros linked to character tokens

I'm running a Star Trek game on Wednesday, and one of my players was kind enough to provide me with the following set of macros: &{template:default} {{name=War (+1)}} {{Advantage:=[[3d6kh2cs100cf0+1]]}} {{Normal:=[[2d6cs100cf0+1]]}} {{Disadvantage:=[[3d6dh1cs100cf0+1]]}} &{template:default} {{name=Peace (+1)}} {{Advantage:=[[3d6kh2cs100cf0+1]]}} {{Normal:=[[2d6cs100cf0+1]]}} {{Disadvantage:=[[3d6dh1cs100cf0+1]]}} &{template:default} {{name=Duty (+0)}} {{Advantage:=[[3d6kh2cs100cf0]]}} {{Normal:=[[2d6cs100cf0]]}} {{Disadvantage:=[[3d6dh1cs100cf0]]}} &{template:default} {{name=Explore (+0)}} {{Advantage:=[[3d6kh2cs100cf0]]}} {{Normal:=[[2d6cs100cf0]]}} {{Disadvantage:=[[3d6dh1cs100cf0]]}} &{template:default} {{name=Rank (+3)}} {{Advantage:=[[3d6kh2cs100cf0+3]]}} {{Normal:=[[2d6cs100cf0+3]]}} {{Disadvantage:=[[3d6dh1cs100cf0+3]]}} These will allow me to create five macros (one for each attribute in the game) and generate standard, advantage and disadvantage results, calculating the modifier for each individual characters stat.  The problem I'm having is this... When I link one set of macros to the characters token, they appear whenever I click on any token in the game.  This problem is compounded, because when I add another set of macros to a different token, these also appear.  This is also extremely confusing, because I have to apply different modifiers to each individual set of macros, due to the characters different statistics.  Basically, it makes it impossible to use the macros as intended. Am I doing something wrong here?  Is there any way to fix this problem of the macros for one token linking to every token in the game? 

Edited 1458039227
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Hi Jason, to help narrow down the potential causes could you run through how you are 'adding the macros to the token' to ensure that there is no confusion at that stage. Also, since your macros are generic bar one modifier have you considered using a universal macro that uses attributes on a character sheet to apply the bonuses for you? For example (i'm not familiar with the system or whether a community sheet exists for it or not so please excuse any laughable errors), if you are using the macro for War posted above you could have the following: &{template:default} {{name=War (+ @{selected|war} )}} {{Advantage:=[[3d6kh2cs100cf0+ @{selected|war} ]]}} {{Normal:=[[2d6cs100cf0+ @{selected|war} ]]}} {{Disadvantage:=[[3d6dh1cs100cf0+ @{selected|war} ]]}} That would mean that when a token is selected, every time that macro is run, regardless of which token it is, the bonus will be dynamically applied according to the character sheet that token is tied to. All the sheet would need is an attribute named 'war' for this to work. Some recommended reading from the  wiki : Character sheets Journals Dice Reference Macros Token Features Linking tokens to Journals
Firstly, thanks very much for the quick reply. As far as making the macros are concerned, I just add a macro, make it visible to the player that controls the token for that character, then click the Show as Token action box.  It seemed logical to me that setting the permissions that way ought to make the macros appear when the player controlling the token clicks on the token.  Clearly, though, I was mistaken in this. There isn't any character sheet for the game I play, so I just used the generic sheet.  It's a Powered by the Apocalypse derived game, and being very simple, I don't think a custom sheet is really needed for it.  I'm not really clear on how to set attributes on the character sheet (I'm more than a little technologically impaired; you'll have to forgive me), but I'll read all of the wiki links you provided.   Again, thanks for your help.  8)
Ah- I think I figured it out by reading the wiki.  I need to add the Macros directly to the character sheets, not from the My Settings tab.  Thanks for the links!  8)
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
No problem... for your first issue, setting a macro as a token action in the macro tab (when creating the macro) will apply it to all tokens, this allows for the universal macros i mentioned. You can also tick 'in bar' on the macro tab itself to set favourite macros to the bottom bar, although this is on a player by player basis so only you'd see those ones... very useful for building a set of DM tool based macros over time. To have token actions set individually by token you need to apply them in the attributes and abilities tab > abilities section. Make a new ability, name it and input the macro into the box. Click the 'tick' to save it and then check the 'token action' box to have it show whenever the token that is tied to that sheet is selected, this is great for custom macros that are token specific. As for the attributes, in the same section as discussed above you can add attributes to a journal, name them however you want and set either a value, or a value and it's max which can then be called from macros like in my original suggestion. All of the links I provided should help you get set up nicely. A community sheet by the way is just a nice way to display and set attributes but essentially just creates attributes on the attributes and abilities tab based on the values inputted by the user (they can be much more sophisticated than that but at their very basic that is all they do...)