Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Music themes to maps

The Jukebox can be an awesome tool, adding music to a campaign can add ambiance and environmental emersion for the players. However, there is some struggle currently with it. I came up with the idea of being able to attach a particular track to a map. So when the players are switched to a map the jukebox automatically fades out and fades back in with the new music . Music on the maps would be customizable, independant volume and delayed repeat options. You could set it to play once when the players are switched to the map, play only when commanded, repeat loop or even play wait X number of seconds and replay. this way you could set up a world map and its music, a town map, dungeon map, even a tavern map to each automatically play their own music without having to search for each track when switching maps.
Another nice feature could be an element on the Gm Layer that allowed you to place the play symbol on the map that would trigger the sound from sound cloud ( as opposed to in the side panel). I often use sound and effects to keep my players focused. Two examples: If there camping for the night I may play campfire sounds with back round music. Then in the middle somewhere I play a short track of a cracking twig. My players now pay attention to the sounds as well so their not surprised. Their walking down a hall way they hear a sound based on their reaction I consider how to weight their roll. Experienced players have encounter so many traps monsters etc. That it does effect their decision. When I say your walking down the hall way and you hear a click I've had players say "I activate my boots of levitation" just as the floor drops out. Now they have to pay attention if their bs-ing and not in game then they react slow so maybe they were too startled to activate their boots.
I very much agree with Wardonis and Zack A. This suggestion for being able to set specific music and sounds can improve the Roll20 canvases content very much, turning them more into living scenarios instead just maps and images. Zack. A.'s idea of placing a play symbol in the canvas is also related to what has been suggested on assigning sounds from the Jukebox to tokens, or being able to trigger sounds from them, at: <a href="http://community.roll20.net/discussion/2881/quick-and-dirty-contextual-notes-access/p1" rel="nofollow">http://community.roll20.net/discussion/2881/quick-and-dirty-contextual-notes-access/p1</a>