Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Recording Games as GM, but only showing what the players see?

(First off, I'm on a MacBook Pro used to using ScreenFlow, but open to other suggestions.) Hi, I did come across  this thread that got into this a bit.  As a GM I like to record the sessions, but trying to edit out sections of the screen that I don't want the players to see (e.g., a secret door they haven't found yet) is time consuming.  I'd rather not run two computers if I can (as one person in the above thread suggests), or have a player record it if possible. Is my only option, therefore, to run two instances of the game, one as GM and as "Re-join as player" and record the "Re-join as player"?  If so, does this mean I'll have to run two monitors (as my MacBook Pro screen isn't big enough to comfortably show both instances, so I can record the "as player" one), or is there a way to record the "as player" instance in the background while the "GM" instance runs full screen on my MBP? Any suggestions on how others have done it would be appreciated.  My thanks!
Well, this is what I do. Maybe you can get it to work for you. I use  OBS , Open Broadcaster Software. It's free, easy to use, and compatible with YouTube, Twitch, and several other streaming services. I also have a multiple-monitor setup, making it a lot easier to keep an eye on both viewpoints. As you stated, I put my "Player" view on the big screen, off in my peripheral vision. I have the GM screen, and one for data (notes, tables, etc). Depending on what I'm showing, OBS lets me switch between the three monitors easily and at will. However, there's also a way (probably simple, I haven't used it) to select a given window, or portion of the screen, or whatever you wish to view. You would simply have your player-view instance open in a minimized window somewhere. The OBS program can run in the background, and you can pull it up at any time to see exactly what's being recorded. I've found that it's MUCH easier with multiple monitors, but yes, you can certainly make it work. -Phnord, the guy who hopes he can help.

Edited 1458528110
Thanks Phnord -- I've enjoyed your screencasts!  I'll look into OBS.  Recording a minimized player-view instance would be the best option, if possible. EDIT - I have yet to test, but I believe the first half of this video is what I'm looking for...
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Brett. If you go the OBS route, check out their  plugins also. There is a few they list that helps you use a minimized browser in the recording but I don't know of they are old and non supported or new and active.
Thanks Pat!
One of the DM''s I've ran with uses a second account to act as a cameraman tland moves it around as needed to show where the players are.
Even without special plugins, you can configure OBS to record one Browser Window (inner-window) and use the Selection portions option to show just the interface instead of the browser's bars.  Leaving the browser window open as it is(logged in as a player), you can then open a new browser window (not a tab) or completely different browser (chrome vs Firefox) and login as the GM. This leaves the 'player view'  and 'GM view'  in two separate windows you can toggle between to change your views and what-not. This is all made a LOT easier if you have multiple monitors, of course.
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
But it all boils down to the original poster statement that he is using a laptop but he did not explicitly state that he had a spare monitor to use. That is why I was suggesting looking into plugins so he can minimize one browser and record on it while using the other browser as a GM.
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Also worth noting that while on your DM view and recording/streaming the player view you can use the shift+ping to move the players screen where you want it without having to constantly switch windows or have your cursor flying all over the place in 'shot' :) This will move ALL players views to the desired area but that is a small price to play for seamless recording and I'm sure your players would be cool with it!
Thanks all.  I have OBS downloaded, and seems to do the trick for video.  Now trying to figure out recording audio from Skype at the same time.  All roads point to  Soundflower , but after it says it installs on my Mac, I go to applications and can't find it :( .  I'm looking into it... HoneyBadger -- thanks.  I'm trying to do it all on one account, so plan to have a "player" instances open in a private browser window (saves me from running two browsers). Mark G. (and Pat S. ) - agreed multiple monitors can be better.  If I had them set up, I'm 100% sure I could use Screenflow, which I already have and am used to.  Also, re: selections to pick just the interface, I've seen that on Youtube, but haven't found the option on the Mac version of OBS :( . Ziechael - way ahead of you on this, and good point!!
Gold
Forum Champion
Ziechael said: Also worth noting that while on your DM view and recording/streaming the player view you can use the shift+ping to move the players screen where you want it without having to constantly switch windows or have your cursor flying all over the place in 'shot' :) This will move ALL players views to the desired area but that is a small price to play for seamless recording and I'm sure your players would be cool with it! This is what my group does too.  As GM, I shift-ping (Shift key and hold down the mouse button) to focus the Player view, consequently this focuses the OBS / Twitch recording view. With that in mind, there is only one obstacle to running a background window in Player mode for recording-broadcasting.  When the GM uses "Shift-Z" to pop up a picture to everyone in the group.  The pop-up picture will not go away until that player's Browser clicks away from it.  This is the only remaining reason why, as GM, I would need to click over to the Player window to manipulate the view during the game-flow. I haven't found a workaround, other than having a live player control the browser that is being recorded/streamed.  If it is the GM on a background tab, and you use Shift-Z, then you need to click over to the Player-recording tab and click away from the pop up pics each time.
Gold said: With that in mind, there is only one obstacle to running a background window in Player mode for recording-broadcasting.  When the GM uses "Shift-Z" to pop up a picture to everyone in the group.  The pop-up picture will not go away until that player's Browser clicks away from it.  This is the only remaining reason why, as GM, I would need to click over to the Player window to manipulate the view during the game-flow.. Good tip / warning. Thanks Gold! All - I'm still struggling with recording Skype / Roll20 audio. Any suggestions or links to steps that work for Mac OS X are welcomed!
Brett M. said: Thanks all.  I have OBS downloaded, and seems to do the trick for video.  Now trying to figure out recording audio from Skype at the same time. OBS should record all audio coming from your default audio device with it's default settings.  You shouldn't have to configure anything special unless you want to record *only* Skype, and not any other audio coming from your system. What kind of error or unwanted behavior are you experiencing from it? What is your OBS audio settings configured to?
RE: Audio Again, I'm not using a Mac, but I'd think they'd work much the same way. Under OBS Settings, Audio, you'll find the Desktop Audio Device. If "Default" isn't working, see if you can select something else. This is telling OBS where to find the audio stream; select the one that gives you basically anything you can hear coming from your computer. (Big Green Arrow) To check if it's working, play some music or have someone on Skype talking or something. Start up OBS, and hit PREVIEW STREAM. This will show your currently-recorded area and the mixers will show if you're recording audio. (Big Green Arrow the Second) It may take some time and practice finding the right settings for you. As this is going somewhat beyond the purpose of this forum, I'm'a stop now and let you know that the OBS forums have a lot of helpful people who can further assist with getting it set up. I'm sure some of them use Macs! -Phnord, the guy who should check if someone posts while he's composing!
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
I agree with Phnord about this topic has moved into the realm of off-topic now and any more help should be gathered from the experts over at the  OBS forums .
Thanks all -- sorry for taking it off topic.  I'll look into the above.