Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Shifting Walls

Would there be any easy way to make a dungeon which has walls which shift and rearrange themselves, with Dynamic Lighting.

Edited 1377992517
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
you could probably do that through an api script. just get yourself a wall tile/token and I think there is an api script that moves tokens so you could use that to move or setup it up to move if they approach it through another api script ( If I remember them being worked on right) . Never mind, it just clicked you were wanting it through or with DL.
Nope.
Metro. Actually not too tough! Now that we have the ability to take information from a selected obj, in theory you can use commands to essentially like the two together so that if you move a wall, the shadow moves too on the DL layer! I'll try to cook something up this week for you guys.
That would be awesome.
No promises on time frame. TBH, I'll need Brian's help probably to figure out how to sort Switch() funtions to find obj ID's, but if there's a mod online, I'm thinking this should be moved to the API thread at this point. but as far as figuring out selected wall with a chat command !wall then clicking a DL vector and typing in !set DL you could bind the two together so when you move/scale the wall, the DL drawing follows it and auto adjusts.
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
So I was partially correct. It could be done with the api script. cool.
lol, you crossed it out though! But it is doable, I'm certain. the problem is that without knowing if we can make global vars, (i.e. IDwall:IDlight) it'll be semi difficult, I put out feelers to figure out how to make a database set as a char sheet work to isolate the ID of the wall, and the DL object to shift it.

Edited 1378112145
Alex L.
Pro
Sheet Author
If you were going to do this in the API it would be easiest to do like a stop motion animation, you set up how you want the walls then type a command that saves that layout, then change it and type the command again and so on, once your done a command would then play back the steps at an interval.

Edited 1378113102
Lithl
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
The DL layer only pays attention to paths. The API doesn't support path creation, and manipulation is limited. There's also the problem of not having much to identify path objects with. Alex's suggestion of a "snapshot" progression is a good one, though. One of the things we can do with paths is change their location. The GM could set the paths, take a !snapshot, and move them, etc. It wouldn't work for creation/deletion of paths, but you could move unused pieces to a far corner of the map. The script I just wrote for HoneyBadger could be adapted for cycling through the snapshots on a delay, too. You'd need to make use of the state object so that the GM could set things up before the game. Path objects do have a property describing the path, but I'm not certain whether the contents of the property can be edited (it's a read-only property, but that might just mean you can't reset it, essentially, depending on how the path object is set up and how the API deals with the read-only properties), and even if it can be edited, I'm not entirely certain how to interpret the content of the property.

Edited 1378151347
Riley has said that he has plans to revisit Dynamic Lighting, because right now it's pretty much hacked together. So writing an API script for it might just cause it to break later, but I don't know how far down the line he is going to revisit it.
If you can .set the top,left, height and width, isn't that enough if you link a paths ID to a graphics?
Lithl
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Script created! This script records snapshots from the bookmarked page, and it doesn't have a setup to animate multiple pages without a reset, but it does look pretty cool. =)