Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Issue with Token Auras

Hi, I'm having a kind of problem with Auras assigned to tokens that I can't figure how to solve, so perhaps it's a bug: Auras are working in some Roll20 pages but not in others, no idea why. Seemingly the hexagonal grid is a factor --I think I also tested this with square grids--, because when there is no grid, it's easier to make auras work; otherwise auras aren't appearing at all in my Roll20 pages. Explaining this from another angle: I can set the aura for a token placed in a map, but the aura isn't appearing. If I copy and paste this token into another Roll20 page with a background image (no map, no grid), then this token appears there with its aura enabled. I'm on the dev server. My specs: Operating System Microsoft Windows 7 Screen Resolution 1280 x 800 Web Browser Chrome 23.0.1271.64 Browser Size 994 x 728 Color Depth 32 Javascript Yes Flash Version 11.5.31 Cookies Yes User Agent Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64) AppleWebKit/537.11 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/23.0.1271.64 Safari/537.11
Gid
Roll20 Team
Huh. Couldn't repeat the error on my end. Can you double check a couple things for me, Axel? Does the aura not show up on hex grids consistently? If not, is it for both horizontal and vertical? What happens on square grids? Is the problem consistent when a token is placed atop an image on the background layer?
Yes, I'll do the double check tomorrow. Meanwhile thank you Kristin for your attention.
Gid
Roll20 Team
You're welcome! :)
OK, I have been making further tests about this issue, and it's happening to me all the time. No auras in maps. I've checking it again several times with different options, so I have no idea of what I'm doing wrong. - The aura doesn't show up on any grid consistently, regardless it's square or hexagonal (both for vertical and horizontal setups). - Dynamic Lighting enabled or disabled, auras on tokens aren't showing up. - I'm not using Fog of War in these tests. -If a token with aura is placed atop of an image --like a map-- in the background layer, the problem is also consistent: no aura appears. I wonder if it can be useful sharing with you the link for my campaign (right now it's just a test Roll20 setup, not an actual game), for some of you entering there and looking what is happening. The link is <a href="http://app.roll20dev.net/join/28057/cFFghg" rel="nofollow">http://app.roll20dev.net/join/28057/cFFghg</a>
@Gauss just discovered why I was having problems with auras: I'm using a Scale of 0.5 for my maps --in that way, 2 hexgrid cells amount to 1 meter--, and 0.5 seems to be rounded down to 0 -- any fraction seems to be rounded to 0: anything between 0 and 1 is 0; anything between 1 and 2 is 1 Then, if I set Scale to 1, auras start to work. But they should work with any Scale, I think. Also, I have my reasons for setting the Scale to 0.5 instead to 1. The problem is identified. Auras use rounded down values on scale. Put in other words, auras don't work if you use decimal values near to 0 for the map Scale.
Gauss
Forum Champion
I discovered this a couple weeks ago when I was using 2.5 for my scale and noticed that the auras were acting as if the scale was set to 2.0. I played with it and realized that, for the purpose of auras, the scale was being 'rounded down' to the nearest whole number. In Axel's case they are being 'rounded down' to 0, which amounts to no aura. Note: the value set for scale is not actually changed. But, for the purpose of auras, any decimal value between whole numbers acts as the whole number without the decimal and is thus is being 'rounded down'. My guess is that in the code it isn't actually being rounded down but is instead only taking the whole number and not the complete number. Then again, I'm not a programmer and have only limited experience with coding so it could just be rounding incorrectly. - Gauss
Gid
Roll20 Team
That's what it sounds like to me too, Gauss. I'll fill out a bug report.
Nice.
This is fixed in the next update. Thanks!
Nice. I'm looking forward to it.
Yes, I can see this issue with token auras is fixed now with the just-released update. Kudos for this and many other cool things!