Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Removing the Total

I play a game where you roll multiple dice and only need the individual dice results. Is there any way to remove the '= #' part of the roll?
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
You just have to [[your dice]],[[your dice]],etc and it will roll your dice individually but in a line.
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
[[your dice]] is how you do inline dice roll and the , is optional but it looks better if you just need them separated. You can use almost anything to separate them. You can use /, -, etc. pretty much anything.

Edited 1378505498
But it doesn't show the size of the die being rolled? Kind of still need that. It also doesn't work with a comma, returns: Could not determine result type of: [{"type":"M","expr":8},{"type":"C","text":" , 6"}] and using a slash just makes it try to divide.

Edited 1378505966
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
you can mouse over and it will show it but give me a little bit to think this through or someone else might pop in and post here before I can respond. ----edit---- From what I can figure out, mouse over will tell you what dice you rolled without the total. Now you can use /r {1d#,1d#,1d#} to show individual dice but just ignore the total.
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Ω said: But it doesn't show the size of the die being rolled? Kind of still need that. It also doesn't work with a comma, returns: Could not determine result type of: [{"type":"M","expr":8},{"type":"C","text":" , 6"}] to do inline you have to use the double brackets [[ ]]. The curly bracket groups the dice together. The bracket [ ]  is used for inline pop up text (I think). Roll20 wiki Dice Reference

Edited 1378506347
Right, but not having a total is what I asked about in the first place. I have no problem mousing over, but like I said above I can't use multiple inline commands or it screws up. I'd need multiple, as the game I play requires multiple dice of multiple sizes. /roll [[4d8]], [[2d6]] Returns: Could not determine result type of: [{"type":"M","expr":11},{"type":"C","text":", 6"}]
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Then I'm at a loss on that. Maybe Gauss or another mod will stop by and be able to help. Mods have a deeper understanding than I do (I'm just a simple user) and can usually help people very well.

Edited 1378516864
Gauss
Forum Champion
Ω,  the problem with your latest /roll example is that you are basically telling it to /roll #, #. There is no math to perform and nothing for it to roll.  If you use the /roll command you will get a total. If you do inline dice rolls you will not. Lets say I want to do 5d6 but I want all the dice to display individually without a sum of all of the dice. I can type:  [[1d6]] [[1d6]] [[1d6]] [[1d6]] [[1d6]] "hit enter" Lets assume I rolled 4, 5, 2, 1, 3, and 6 It will display: 4 5 2 1 3 6 Alternately, I can type  [[5d6]]  and then mouse over the results (but frankly, that isn't much better than just typing /roll 5d6). I also have games that roll multiple dice and do not need the total (Star Fleet Battles, Battletech, etc). My personal preference is to type /roll 5d6sd or /roll 5d6sa and then ignore the total (sa = sort ascending while sd is sort descending).  In short there is no way, outside of the API, to roll multiple dice in a single roll command or inline command and have them display without a total.  - Gauss
Lithl
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Ω said: Right, but not having a total is what I asked about in the first place. I have no problem mousing over, but like I said above I can't use multiple inline commands or it screws up. I'd need multiple, as the game I play requires multiple dice of multiple sizes. /roll [[4d8]], [[2d6]] Returns: Could not determine result type of: [{"type":"M","expr":11},{"type":"C","text":", 6"}] Unless you're trying to do some math or roll some variable number of dice (or variable type of die), you should not be combining the /roll command with inline rolls. If you want to roll 4d8 and 2d6 using inline rolls, simply type "[[4d8]], [[2d6]]".
Gauss
Forum Champion
Just a note, a comma is not required between two inline rolls. You can put anything, or nothing, between inline rolls.  - Gauss
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
The original poster is wanting to roll individual dice of different types and not have them total up. example He wants to roll  1d4,1d4,1d6,1d8 and have them show only each die roll like 1,2,1,8 instead of 1+2+1+8=12
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
The only way I could think of is the inline roller. The second and third and 5th posts shows that is what I was pointing out to the OP.

Edited 1379660087
Gold
Forum Champion
Metroknight said: He wants to roll  1d4,1d4,1d6,1d8 and have them show only each die roll like 1,2,1,8 instead of 1+2+1+8=12 I think he wants what you said, but ALSO wants it to show the type of dice.  That is easy too. Just write the explanation-label-wording of the dice outside the brackets. Example macro (tested and works), I AM ROLLING A d4 AND THE RESULT IS [[1d4]].  Now I am Rolling a d6 and the result is [[1d6]].  Next I am rolling 3d8 and not showing the total and just showing the individual d8: [[1d8]], [[1d8]], [[1d8]]. Ω  said: /roll [[4d8]], [[2d6]] Don't type /roll at the start of inline command. The brackets tells it to roll when you're doing the inline way.
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
yup but there is suppose to be a way to do pop up text in the roll yet I have not been able to get it to work or I dreamed it.

Edited 1379679875
?{Prompt|Default Value} That is a roll query. That's the pop up text you're talking about.