Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Dynamic Lighting Lighting Channels

With some systems, there are areas of "low-light" that some creatures can see in and some others cannot. Example: In Pathfinder/3.5e, a human cannot see in low-light normally and an elf can. Because of this, a human can only benefit from the 20 ft bright-light radius of a torch (torches she's bright-light for 20 ft, then low-light for another 20). An elf looking at the same area can see the whole 40 ft radius around a torch. I couldn't find a way on roll20 to implement this. My suggestion is for A) a token having the ability to give off multiple different, independent light radii, B) having these independent light sources able to be assigned to some kind of channel system, and C) tokens be able to only see light sources that are in the channel they have access to. With this system, one could assign, let's say, a torch, with two different light radii: A 20 ft one assigned to channel A and a 40 ft one assigned to channel B. Anyone who benefits from low-light vision would be permitted to see both channels A and B, while those without could be permitted to see only channel A. This would also solve a problem I had with darkvision (the ability to see in the dark that solve races possess, for those unaware). I would, normally, assign a light to that character that only they had permission to see, and that works pretty well... Until they carry a source of light for others. Since a token can only omit one light radius, they couldn't have this improvised darkvision AND carry a light source for others. Let me know if someone has already suggested this. Feedback welcome. (Sidenote: it would be neat of the light could take on a color, and possibly be restricted to a cone of varying degrees similar to sight, but that could be for another time)

Edited 1461602448
I'd like to say that I did see this thread: &nbsp; <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/1239598/add-diff" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/1239598/add-diff</a>... But I feel that it is too rigid, as some objects&nbsp;only emit dim light, making the initial light that these multipliers are based off of 0. Example: A room filled with dim light. Those without low light vision world see nothing. I feel my method would handle this better
Thanks for the suggestion! After 30 days, Suggestions and Ideas with fewer than 10 votes are closed and the votes are refunded to promote freshness. Your suggestion didn't build the right momentum this time, but feel free to submit it again! We find that the best suggestions describe the problem you are having, and the solution you want. You can learn more about the process of making suggestions on the Roll20 Wiki! More details can be found here .