Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Can't get map to tabletop

Edited 1378639228
Read Help sections. Tried direct upload and thumbnail drag, neither resulting in my .png file being displayed on the tabletop. Symptoms of possible problems: 1) The green fetch progress bar seems stuck and never ends fetching.   2) When I drag the thumbnail it does not create a visible signal that I am successfully dragging by changing the cursor in most cases.  One time I think I got it, but getting it is way way way too hard.  It's behavior after I snag it is not successful. Suggestions beyond that implied by above: 1) Having a button labelled 'Table' or 'Table It' or 'Map to Table' is much more intuitive. 2) Cannot select thumbnail or little black triangly thingy easily.  Should be much more discreet on screen.  Also tends to pop up tag adder window.  Then there is no X to dismiss that thing.   Yuch! 3) Is there any import process from Google Drive spreadsheets?  Sadly they don't have an image save as feature and I have to print screen and dump the image into an image editor to save and then upload.  Result in images that get very blurry due to scaling.  I have 100s of images/dungeon maps in Google Spreadsheet.
Hello man. Maybe this will help. Check on the second tool, click up to bottom which layer are u using to move objects There's a background, token and Gm layer buttons in there, the one u choose will be the one u can control/edit. You can change layers by right click, if you're on the right layer. I also had some troubles with new objects or tokens, but if u reload the page they will appear. I hope this helped.

Edited 1378648383
I click the second tool.  I change the layer to map & background. I click Art Library.  I click on the map I want (previously uploaded). There is no button to transfer my desired image onto the background layer (there should be). I try the drag and drop method as suggested by the help.  The black triangle with an up arrow in it thingy is too hard to drag.  Even when I succeed in dragging it, the cursor hovered over the tabletop is a black circle with a slash through it.  That sounds like fail to me.  When I click on the black triangle with an up arrow in it thingy it usually selects the associated image surrounding it in dashed light blue.  Then an annoying tag add/remove window pops up that is not easily dismissed until you know how by trying random things. (Silly) Inserting an image into a background layer should be SUPER easy and intuitive.  WTF? I also tried right click Copy Image after mouseover on the image I want and then right click paste on the tabletop which intuitively should work and does not.

Edited 1378664616
Gauss
Forum Champion
What is the file size?&nbsp; Have you tried to upload it via the art library upload function (in the art library manager)?&nbsp; What is your current storage quota?&nbsp; <a href="https://app.roll20.net/account" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/account</a> You cannot drag images from the Art Library Manager (popup window when you click the black star) to the table. Use the Art Library tab in the sidebar for that. Type in the tag for your image and it should come up. Then drag it to the table and it will be placed on the current layer. If you want it on a different layer right click on the image and select the layer you want.&nbsp; Once an image is on the tabletop you can copy it normally. But you cannot copy it from the Art Library (Manager or sidebar) and then paste it to the tabletop.&nbsp; If you need further help let me know and I can walk you through things. :) - Gauss
1 is 10 kb 1 is 735 kb Yes I used the art library star thingy and then used the blue upload link. The art library popup manager contains my images, the sidebar NEVER does. &nbsp;So I cannot use it, because they are not there. &nbsp;OK so now I added a tag and did the lookup by tag (who knew) and it worked. &nbsp;Now on to your alignment tutorial. &nbsp;TYVM.

Edited 1378680006
The Align to grid is ... not really working. My original is square. &nbsp;But no value I can enter results in a square conversion. &nbsp;And when I adjust it where I want it for best fit, it's snaps back wrong. OK found the right value, 40.75, but it still snaps wrong. Nope I was wrong. &nbsp;40.755 is still to little. &nbsp;Significant differences show after 5 squares. &nbsp;and 41 is too much. Cant figure it. &nbsp; I guess it would help if I could just turn the d20 grid off. &nbsp;There is already a grid on my image.

Edited 1378682968
Gauss
Forum Champion
It sounds like you are trying to align it via changing the Grid size in Page Settings. The Align to Grid tool changes the map size to match not the grid size. After using Align to Grid hold down the Alt key while moving your map. From there you can use either the image scalers (on the edges of the image) or the "Set Dimensions" tool for fine tuning.&nbsp; Here is a guide I wrote to help with map alignment:&nbsp; <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/3688/map-alignment-and-you-or-101-ways-to-get-your-grids-in-a-row" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/3688/map-alignment-and-you-or-101-ways-to-get-your-grids-in-a-row</a> If you still need help please send me a join link and I can come give you a hand. :) - Gauss

Edited 1378730594
I am following the instructions, but it's hard to match. &nbsp;I have - involved maps - not the simple case most people come to you with. &nbsp;My maps have walls and contour lines included as an in between row and column. &nbsp;Works ingeniously on Google and to be honest, my method would work wonders for your maps as well, if the toolset to populate background colors and text colors was as easy to use as those on Google spreadsheet. &nbsp; Regardless, I have to line up the squares on your map with a central square and half the wall space on all sides of that square. &nbsp;It actually helps alignment by letting me use your maps squares corners as crosshairs. &nbsp;But there are some weird circumstances. &nbsp; a) It seems that smaller numbers input after the 3X3 make bigger squares on my map. &nbsp;That seems backwards. &nbsp;Confusing at least. b) There is nothing that says I cannot re-adjust using align to grid. &nbsp;And I can. &nbsp;About 2-3 times. &nbsp;Then it shifts on me. &nbsp;Subsequent adjustments fail epicly. &nbsp;It's like it loses it mind. &nbsp;And frankly, it's going to take more than 2-3 adjustments to get it right. c) My maps run the gambit from tiny to immense. &nbsp;I understand the set dimensions can help for that, but what's wrong with bubble logic and using an infinite space map with scrolling awareness? &nbsp; d) The Set Dimension scaling is too large of a scale of scaling on large maps. &nbsp;I need a single square scale that extrapolates back to the whole map. &nbsp;Then I can zoom in deep enough to make the single square huge and the error percentage will be small enough to start being noticeable only around 100 squares or so, which is where I need it to be. Also, I was ready to invite you or join you or whatever. &nbsp;So I searched the tabletop - nothing. Can't see any way to join you. &nbsp;Ugh. &nbsp;Then I went to my campaign and found invite. But then it was email and not userid. &nbsp;Ugh. &nbsp;I tried userid anyway out of sheer anger and it failed. &nbsp;Then I went back to our discussion on the forum and took your link to your profile. &nbsp;No email listed that I could see anywhere. &nbsp;Ugh. &nbsp;And I am off to work now. &nbsp;Hopefully, we can chat and I can read the help on joining a person and figure that out so you can help me with scaling. But it's really sad the app is so counter-intuitive. &nbsp; Thanks for your help and I know it can be annoying dealing with the 100s of noobs all asking the same questions. &nbsp;
It's also clear there needs to be a universal Undo function.

Edited 1378736504
Gid
Roll20 Team
There is an Undo function, Series0 -&gt; CTRL (or ⌘)&nbsp; + Z will start backtracking steps made on the Tabletop. It sounds like you're adjusting your map without holding down the Alt key. When you scale, move, or rotate an image on the Tabletop with the grid activated, it'll snap to the grid. Holding down the Alt key while scaling, moving or rotating will ignore grid snapping. The Tabletop's size can be changed to fit your map. Figure out how how many grid units you need for width and height then pull down the Page Toolbar (that's the the little page icon at the very top of the screen). Click on the gear icon by the Page you're currently viewing to bring up the Page Settings window. Here you can change the grid width and height of the tabletop. As for sending players an invite: While you're in the campaign, go to the chat tab on the Sidebar. In green highlight are text "The player link for this campaign is:" and what looks like a darker green fill afterwards. Hover your mouse over that dark green square and it'll make the Campaign's direct url link visible. Copy that URL and supply it to who you wish to play. You can send a Roll20 user a private message with the link in it if you don't have their email address.

Edited 1378744343
I am locking it using the alt key. &nbsp;But, it seems no number I can arrive at using the 3X3 is the right number. &nbsp;The result is that within 4-5 squares the alignment is off. &nbsp;I could maybe tolerate within 20 squares. &nbsp;But so far that level of precision eludes me. &nbsp;To be honest I cannot tell for sure if the picture I am bringing in has a perfectly square grid or not. &nbsp;It sure seems to. &nbsp;And that would make one expect that the alignment just needs the right scaling to succeed. &nbsp;So far - no joy. Yes, ty, after playing around I figured out how to adjust the tabletop dimensions. Thanks on the invite instructions. &nbsp;I will say in passing that the method you describe seems overly complicated and hidden. &nbsp;What's wrong with a people icon that pulls down to invite player as one option allowing you to enter their site userid? &nbsp;Simple, intuitive, and likely to reduce the question you all are getting. &nbsp;By the way, I have no idea if you moderators are developers or not. &nbsp;I am a 30 year + software developer and architect. &nbsp;So I apologize if sometimes I sound a little opinionated about function and intuition. &nbsp; Ty for your help

Edited 1378748279
Since this is a test campaign right now, here is the link ... &nbsp;Currently leaving the map up. &lt;link deleted - Gauss&gt;

Edited 1378753332
Gauss
Forum Champion
Moderators are not Developers, we are Roll20 team members who's job it is to help users with Roll20, take bug reports, and to keep the boards civil. Please send me a PM with a time (and timezone) you would like to meet so I can show you how to align your map. :) - Gauss