Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Character sheet and Journal Loading Lag

Hello,  I host a 30 player strong, 5th Edition living Campaign, the campaign name is:  Backwater Season 2: The Explorers (New) Lately, all players have been complaining of lag, especially on initial load of our main game room.  I have a group of GMs under me who have been running multiple tests to fix the issue. I am not sure where the problem is stemming from so I will try to concisely tell you what we have tested so far.  I created a copy of the room and moved only the journal over (character sheets and handouts).  The new room was still just as slow to load for me, even with no other clients connected, so we know that it is not one of those scenarios where we are only as fast as our slowest ping. I then created a copy of the room and moved everything over except the journal (maps, chat logs, jukebox playlists).  Even with a large landing map, the page loaded instantly, no lag on load up.   We have spent loads of time deleting lots of handouts as well as archiving and deleting characters from stagnant players.  I have noticed that the amount of memory to fully load the page has not decreased by much even after we deleted 70% of the journal entries.  The page currently loads a page file of 1 Gb.  I ran some tests in our secondary rooms.  This is where we have our individual GM unique maps and handouts.  I noticed the same pattern. We vault over updated character sheets from the main game to these secondary game rooms on game night. When I had 7 character sheets in the journal, there was a big lag in fully loading the page.  NOt quite as long as the main game room, but still there.  When I deleted those 7 character sheets and had an empty journal, I reloaded the page and could work instantly.  NO lag really created from the huge cityscape landing map that I am using as a test for all of this.  Something has changed that has started this and we are not sure what it is yet, but here are our points of theory so far: - We do not remember having such issues with our Shaped v1 sheet. I cannot pinpoint exactly when people started complaining about lag, but it was definitely sometime after we moved to Shaped v2 sheets, which the latest version currently loaded is:  3.1.2  - Some of our sheets were not recreated in the new v2 sheet. Some were supposedly seamlessly transitioned from v1 to v2. We were wondering if added code was causing the huge page file in having the transition of sheet version from 1 to 2 and that we should handout new sheets to all characters and have them rebuild them from scratch and delete the old sheets as if they may be bugged.  - I don't actually think it is the sheets though, which is why I am posting here and not just talking to the sheet creator about this and here is why: my speedtest clocks at 180 Mbps download and 12.5 Mbps upload. If I have task manager open and watch the chrome processes and page files, I can see that the page that is loading my main room when I open it is only using 13% of my CPU resources per second, so we know it's capability to keep up with the data being downloaded is not the issue.  The initial 250 Mb of the page file seems to download instantly but then I watch as the page file very slowly gets larger until it is approximately 1Gb in total. Once it is done loading, my page is no longer frozen and I can work without too much issue.  It took 80 seconds from the time that chrome began opening the page to the time that it was at the size of  1 Gb and fully loaded and and I can work on the page. That is an average of 12.5 Mbps.  Which is my upload speed.. What is interesting though is if I go to my secondary room... and I open my giant cityscape map.  I see a page file of 250Mb load instantly.. no lag, maybe 2 seconds from when I click "join game" to begin able to work... If I scroll around the huge map, I watch as the page file jumps around a lot, 250 Mb to 450 Mb with no real lag or issues or anything else.  Are the journals on a different server that needs to be looked at? or is that server throttled due to lack of bandwidth on Roll20s end to only allow maybe 12.5 Mbps upload from said server per client?  I am not saying I would be angry or not understand if this was the case. But we used to never have this problem which makes me think that all of our work to try and eliminate what is in the journal so that we are using as little resources as possible is not the way to go.  We could have been using 1 Gb of resources and did not know it until we suddenly saw 80 seconds of lag in page load up out of nowhere. I am getting complaints from 80% of my users, and the other 20% are almost never on. So obviously my own PC is ruled out.  Theory 1: Issues with this one particular character sheet.  I also tried changing the map template for a backup test room to the 5th Editon OGL sheet and the load time was not much better.  Granted I didn't time it that time, but I was not able to work for at least 30 seconds, so I immediately worked on new theories.  Theory 2: Both the OGL sheet and the shaped v2 sheet has fields where you can drag and drop from the SRD, which is what makes them unique from shaped v1. Maybe there is something to do with that.  Theory 3: Maps and Journals are on different servers and that explains why I can load a room with a large map, but no journal entries, instantly.  But I go to load a room with a tiny, no resource map, but has some character sheets in the journal, and load up crawls.  Thanks for your time.  We spent hours messing with this before bothering you with it. 
Silvyre
Forum Champion
Jacob Marshal said: Some of our sheets were not recreated in the new v2 sheet. Some were supposedly seamlessly transitioned from v1 to v2. Your issues almost certainly lie here. Shapedv1 had issues with the large number of Attributes it utilized on top of its repeating sections. Shapedv2 mitigated these issues by relying more on repeating sections. Adding a new Character Sheet template (e.g. Shapedv2) does not delete or otherwise impact the large number of Attributes presently on the existing Character Sheets. Rather, it adds many more Attributes. Your game sounds like it's using a ridiculous amount of Attributes, and you should absolutely recreate all Characters that were made before switching to Shapedv2.
Phil B.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
To expand a little on what Silvyre said. The v1 and v2 of the shaped sheet have almost no overlap, as far as attributes go. Switching to the new sheet doesn't delete any of the old attributes, it only adds its new attributes on top of the old ones. So basically, by switching sheets without deleting and remaking the characters, you've doubled the already large amount of attributes the system is having to load every time. This is all on top of the shaped sheet having more than average attributes, because of its robustness. So, again like Silvyre said, deleting and remaking any characters that existed when you were using the last sheet should at least help with the lag issue.
Thanks, we are already in the process of this and will update after completion.