Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Asset Default Size when added from Library

Hello Gamers. So I make a lot of art assets for my group and I've followed the best-practices guide on setting up DPI and jpg/png/gif and all that. Things work fine and look great, but when I make maps I run into a couple of things that give me a headache and make the process a bit more tedious than it should be. When I drag an asset from the library to my map layer it is always sized to 3x3. I made my geomorph map tiles with this in mind, so no problem there. But when I add a chair (1x1) or a table (1x2) then I have to resize it every time. An alternative is to have the chair in a 3x3 sized file so that the chair is 1x1 sized but with a 3x3 transparent area around it - this creates another headache when object transparent areas overlap. I've noticed that when I use assets from the library that are pulled from Dundjinni that the asset is not always 3x3 when I drag it in. Some are 4x4, other 2x3. I've never seen a 1x1, but it seems possible... So my actual question: When I create an art asset and import it to my library, is there a way for me to tell Roll20 the default grid size for the asset so that I don't have to resize it after dragging it to my map? Regards, Whooplaah
I'm not too familiar with this, but I know someone will come around and help out. But I do know that when you drop things into the token layer it resizes to 1x1 immediately. You COULD try placing your 1x1 images after the rest are taken care of on the token layer and when you're done, select all with the click and drag system and right click them all to the token layer. Best of luck!
Thanks, Disobey. That would work with the 1x1 objects, but not 1x2, 2x2, etc. I'm hoping that through some sort of naming convention I can skip the resizing step for all of my assets - and make assets of bigger and more odd dimensions.
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Have you tried holding the alt key while drag and dropping your art asset? That works for some folks. Also disable the grid if you haven't and drag and drop on the map layer. Those are the general suggestions offered by various members here.
I tried what you suggested, Pat, but this did not solve the issue. Disabling the grid, using Ctrl+Drag and/or Alt+Drag seems to have no effect upon the behavior of the elements. This is true for both Chrome (v.50) and Firefox (v.42). I did notice that the different layers have different default sizes. On the map layer assets are 3x3, on the Token layer they come in as 2x2 (grid disabled) or 1x1 (grid enabled).
Andrew R.
Pro
Sheet Author
Some of my uploaded art assets drag to the map layer as 9x11 units, and some as 3x3 units. I've never figured out why. 
I've continued experimenting with this and have the following information to add: Using Shift, Alt, and Ctrl have no effect upon the behavior or size of assets when added to a map. Enabling/Disabling the grid only affects assets that are added to the token layer. Map and GM layers behave the same regardless of the grid. Just about anything added from the Dundjinni section of the library "From the Web" section will have non 3x3 default size. There is not a consistent size for these assets, each image has a different default size. I've seen jugs that default to 1x1 and maps that defautl to 7x4 and 8x11. For easy testing, search "map" and add something from the "From the Web" section that is from dundjinni. When I drag from the Library Window (the one you can drag and move) asset default size is 1x2 or 2x2 on the map layer. When I drag from the Library View (side of window) then the same assets are always 3x3 on the map layer. The same asset has different behavior for different users. Andrew (from above) sent me an asset that for him defaults to 8x11, but for me defaults to 3x3. I am still experimenting with the file names, types, and tags to see what might be causing this. Am I harking on about something that is a Pro-only feature?
Gold
Forum Champion
Alex said: The same asset has different behavior for different users. Andrew (from above) sent me an asset that for him defaults to 8x11, but for me defaults to 3x3.  I think this particular variation might have something to do with whether the Grid has been enabled on that Page in the past or not. (?) Try the experiment on pages that never had Grid, versus pages that have Grid On, versus pages that have Grid Off that used to be On. That's what it seems like to me. I've had the best luck of avoiding the mushing-of-graphics size by using a Page that has never had Grid, and holding Alt, and dragging it onto the GM or Map Layer, some of this might be incorrect impressions though. I just try everything to have the graphic retain proper aspect ratio if not size.
Stephen Koontz
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
This is something on our radar.