Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Map optimization

I have been playing with the idea of a very large labyrinth-style forest map for my current game, but trying it out revealed some potential performance issues. It looks like the map I want will have to be done as a single image, but given that I am (and based on the forums others are, too) using larger maps than originally envisioned, what can we do to optimize pages and see if our players will have problems? Clearly, there will always be a maximum practical number of displayed objects based on PC specs, but is there some way for me to know how much memory a page is taking? Also, are duplicated images loaded multiple times, or will using the same image save memory?
Gid
Roll20 Team
Out of curiosity, what factors have led you to thinking you'll have to use a single image?
Gauss
Forum Champion
LM: If you cut up a map into separate pieces (this can be done in almost any graphics program, including MS Paint) you can then upload them in pieces and place them side by side on the Virtual Tabletop. Regarding how much memory I will assume that you mean hard drive space. You can check how much space each file takes by checking the file on your computer. If you want to see how much space all of your uploaded files take you can see that in your Account (top right corner of the screen, click on your name, select My Account, the information is on the right hand side of the screen above manage my subscription). If you want to see the VTT from your player's perspective you can do that by launching your game, selecting the settings tab, scroll down to the bottom, and then click on the Rejoin as player button. This way you can see if your players will have any problems with the maps you have made. Uploaded Images should only take up space once per uploaded image, not once per use in the game. In order to see how much RAM a particular webpage is taking up you will need to go to your Windows Task Manager and check the processes. One of the processes belonging to your browser will have how much memory is being taken up. It will take a bit of work (close each window except for the VTT) to find the one that is the VTT. Note: With chrome you can check a tab's process by going to the control button (far right of the URL line) and then selecting 'View Background pages'. It will tell you what each page is using up in memory. If I have misunderstood your questions I apologize. Some of them could be interpreted as memory = space OR memory = RAM memory. - Gauss
Kristin, when I put a large number of images, even repeats, the map starts to lag. When I instead make them a single image and put it on the background, I don't have that issue. Gauss, I was referring to RAM. In Maptool we found that having a lot of images loaded affected performance, even when it did not take much of the computer's RAM. I'm not sure if the hesitation I'm seeing in Roll20 is from the number of unique images or the number of actual items.