Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Copy/Paste and Layers - Bug

I'm having a problem with the Copy/Paste feature for complex-layered maps. When I paste a selection, the front/back order gets messed up and randomized. I make maps with geomorphs and decoratives. I have floors, then walls, then furniture. Sometimes when I set up a boss-room I'll have lots of things overlap: floor, then blood stains, then walls, then another floor, then stairs, then more blood, etc. etc. Now when I copy and paste something like this the pasted objects are all rotated and sized and positioned correctly, but they are not layered correctly. The floor is on top of the blood and walls, for instance, and I have to go through and re organize the room - sometimes as much work as rebuilding it.

Edited 1463427702
Phil B.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
This issue is something that would be really hard to fix. Say you have one corner of your map and you have the background map, some blood stains and a table. You put your background down first (layer 1), then the table (layer 2, because new items are assumed to be on top), then blood splatter (layer 3). Now you work on your map and you are finishing the last corner, but you've already place a bunch of items each on the next layer to make sure they are on top. You copy the table from the first set (layer 2) and paste it onto the map you just put down (layer 53), so the table appears behind the map. There is no way for the editor to know, specifically, that you want the table on top, it's just an image. The way I deal with it is to start with the large tokens you know you want as the background, right click and use the "To Back" option to force the image to the bottom layer which should show all of the smaller tokens it was hiding, allowing you to move them around similarly. I was going to suggest the map layers post on the Suggestions forum, but I see you've already made a post there. So, obviously I don't need to point that out to you. :P
It would be better to add two more options to compliment toFront and toBack. A Raise and Lower option that moves the selected images up/down one level instead of all the way to the back or front. Then change paste to always paste on top.

Edited 1463430046
Thanks, Phil. I'm not sure I was clear in my OP. When I'm talking about the copy/paste and layer problem I mean that I am click-dragging, copying a group of assets, and pasting them in a new location. When I look at the original assets I see a room set up correctly - floor, then blood, then table, then food. When I look at the pasted assets I see a floor. I right-click-move-to-back the floor and see blood, food, table, floor - the order being messed up for the group. This also happens when I make a room, then use the advanced features to make all the assets a single group. If I copy the group, then paste the group, the assets in the pasted version are out of order - floor being displayed over furniture, for instance. It isn't a problem when I copy/paste a single asset at a time - I understand how to manage that. My problem is when I want to duplicate a wing of a castle, or duplicate an entire map. If I try to paste 25 objects at the same time I then have to go through and correct 20 of them because the layers were messed up. Can Roll20 not do multiple passes when pasting, or store the layers relative to other objects in the copy data? I realize that the layer numbers for the pasted objects will be different than the layer numbers of the originals, but relative to each other they will be the same, right? If I copy a floor (layer 10), blood stain (layer 15), table (layer 37) and playing cards (layer 39) as a group and paste them I should end up with something like floor (layer 40), blood stain (layer 45), table (layer 67), and cards (layer 69). Instead what I am getting is blood stain (layer 40), table (layer 45), floor (layer 67), cards (layer 69). Edit: Also, I like what SkyCaptianXIII said. Changing an asset's layer one, 2, 5, or 10 layers at a time wold be handy as opposed to front or back and no inbetween.
Phil B.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Sorry it took me so long to get back to you, I've been going crazy trying to get the last big update out. I'm looking into this now, it's definitely showing up in a random order, probably just based on how fast each token/tile loads, which isn't the intended behavior. I'll see if I can do something to fix it.