Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

True Hand-drawn Maps

I've been trying to perform some research on this for several hours, today, and I've not been able to find a real answer.  I've seen a few subjects about supposed hand-drawn maps, and what I've seen is people using assets in Roll 20 and combining them together to build a map.  This is not hand-drawn, it is computer-drawn.  A real hand-drawn map is one done with pencil or pen put to paper... I know, I know, don't go screaming heresy... this is something I wanted to try.  Is it that I cannot upload a scan of a true hand-drawn map and use it in Roll 20? I ask this, about the scanned drawing, because I've done all of this work, tonight, and my son, who is playing in my game, is incapable of seeing the map.  I am wondering if I might have it set wrong, but having gone through all of this research, double- and triple-checking my settings, I can see the map image, all of the improvements and additions I've made to it, be he cannot. If I am not allowed to use scanned images, and have to make everything up from graphical programs online, please just let me know, so I can attempt to complete my work otherwise?  Thanks, everyone.  I'm liking what I see, here, but I'm really having some problems that may just be my misplaced @ symbol, and I've got some setting wrong somewhere that I'm not seeing, and that one thing could bring everything else into focus.  Thanks.

Edited 1463552090
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
There's no problem scanning a hand-drawn map or any map/image for that matter and importing into roll20 as a jpg.  If you have done so and uploaded it (or drag/drop from pc to the roll20 editor) you should see it in your image library.  Make sure you have placed your image on the map & background layer (assuming it's a map) in your game.  I know it's a common mistake to place images on the GM layer by accident while intending them to be on either the objects & token or the map & backgrounds layer for players to see...
Thank you, Vince.  I have double-checked all of that, and my base map is, indeed, on the map layer, and I've ensured it's all the way at the back... Hmmm, something's just occurred to me... is my "Next Game Is..." setting maybe what's holding my son back from being able to see it?  If so, how would I set the "Next Game Is..." to "All The Time", basically?  I'm going to mess with that for a minute, and see if it has an effect.
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
You can use hand drawn scanned uploaded maps on roll20. You need to be sure you are using the format of .jpg or .png also. .png format is usually reserved for tokens due to them needing a transparency background. Double check that the player's ribbon is on the actual map page and not on a separate page. As a GM you can be viewing one page while the players are viewing another.
Yes, and yes.  .jpg format for that base map, and I was certain to set the Player ribbon on the map.  When my son was trying to access the game, I was looking over his shoulder, and the shape of the map was correct, but it was all black.  We tried earlier removing Fog of War, reinstating it, checked Opacity levels, and still all he sees is a black blob where the map should have loaded.

Edited 1463552482
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
Fieranor of Imladris said: Thank you, Vince.  I have double-checked all of that, and my base map is, indeed, on the map layer, and I've ensured it's all the way at the back... Hmmm, something's just occurred to me... is my "Next Game Is..." setting maybe what's holding my son back from being able to see it?  If so, how would I set the "Next Game Is..." to "All The Time", basically?  I'm going to mess with that for a minute, and see if it has an effect. So, your Son is not even in the game yet...? Try sending him a join link.  It's the url posted in chat when you first load your game. Just copy/paste and send it to him via PM on roll20 or email.
Yes, he's already registered, we got his Token chosen, set up a Character for him, linked the Token and I placed it on the map.&nbsp; I did, indeed, send all of my players a join link, and all but one -who has not clicked to accept, yet- have joined and their avatar's are on the upper-right, directly below my own avatar, when I go to the game link... I don't know whether or not this will help, but the game is here... <a href="https://app.roll20.net/campaigns/details/887363/th" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/campaigns/details/887363/th</a>... . He is Gavin E. there.

Edited 1463552827
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
I suggest hiding your link unless you want other people to try and join. My bad. &nbsp;I thought you had posted a join link... ;-P Are you using dynamic lighting?
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Fieranor of Imladris said: Yes, and yes.&nbsp; .jpg format for that base map, and I was certain to set the Player ribbon on the map.&nbsp; When my son was trying to access the game, I was looking over his shoulder, and the shape of the map was correct, but it was all black.&nbsp; We tried earlier removing Fog of War, reinstating it, checked Opacity levels, and still all he sees is a black blob where the map should have loaded. Ok. Step one. just disable the fog of war for now and see if you can see the map on his computer (saying you because if you are using fog of war, there is stuff you dont want him to see). If the map still can't be seen, we can run through a troubleshooting guide to see if anything on the computer is blocking it. Could you please carefully work through the first three steps of our guide to Solving Technical Issues ? Step 1: Make sure to use the right browser Please check if these issues persist when using both Chrome and Firefox. Step 2: Ensure that there are no extensions/addons interfering with Roll20 Please disable all add-ons/extensions and anti-virus programs. Step 3: Clear your cache If none of the above succeeds, please thoroughly work through Step 4 . (Don't forget the complete Console Log!) Thank you!
I thought the link was already hidden?&nbsp; The one I gave, above, just goes to the general game page, right?
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
yes it is the detail page.
Vince... yes, I am attempting to use Dynamic Lighting, and I have the appropriate check-boxes, based on what my preferences are, already checked.&nbsp; This is my first map, but the video's I've seen about this seem pretty straight forward, so I think I have it right, but am uncertain. Pat... I know I attempted to disable Fog of War earlier, and I thought we had checked that, but I've just done it, again, to attempt to play through all of this, and he's still seeing nothing. Step 1.&nbsp; We are a Firefox family, and I just updated two or three days ago when Mozilla did their latest push. Step 2.&nbsp; We have not extensions or add-ons for Firefox.&nbsp; Also, our Anti-Virus software hasn't given us any trouble with seeing anything, and I did have Gavin come over to this computer to see if he had better luck, and he had the same problem.&nbsp; I'm wondering if that means it's an account issue.&nbsp; Gavin just told me it's not blocking anything. Step 3.&nbsp; Clearing the Cache.&nbsp; He did that, but then went back to refresh the map, and that did not work.&nbsp; Also, for the laptop he's using, all computer equipment in the house belongs to me, so we use it inter-changeably and, when I log into my GM account, everything appears fine to me. I know I wrote this late at night, but I was up early this morning, and it's really late, now, so I need to put this to bed and pick up on it in the morning, where I can do some work.&nbsp; Guys, I really appreciate your work on this, but I can't even think, anymore, I have to put it to bed. Have a great night, and I'll get back on this first thing in the morning.
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
My guess is that his token does not have sight enabled...
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
I would recommend the first step is disable the dynamic lighting, fog of war (is done already), and any other view blocking mechanisms so that just the map is seen. This will get us to the base image and see if that is viewable. If so then the next step is moving to dynamic lighting. Dynamic lighting is tricky to learn but once you use it a few times, it gets easier. step 1 is to enable it and draw your lines on the dynamic lighting layer with the polyline tool. step 2 is to setup your token properly. Read the&nbsp; adding light on the dynamic lighting wiki page.&nbsp; If you set the light radius properly, you will mimic dark vision or something similar. If you set it be all players viewable then it should function as if that token is carrying a torch or lantern. the player has sight allows that token to see any other token that is emitting a light source. Step 3 is double checking the character sheet to make sure he is assigned to the control and edit menu and the token is assigned to the sheet through the use of the represent as menu. This should get the token usable on a dynamic lighting enabled page.
Alright, got it.&nbsp; I had to change a couple of small features.&nbsp; I had a torch, but I had to add a name, left the show Name-plate un-checked, set the Controlled By to All Players, Set the Dynamic Lighting back up, but I'm going to leave Fog of War un-checked, and fortunately my Dynamic Lighting Poly-shape remained in place.&nbsp; It took me forty-five minutes to draw the thing. Something I think I noticed about the Dynamic Lighting is that I had to un-check that, THEN set up my torch, and THEN turn Dynamic Lighting back on.&nbsp; Anyway, it's working now. Gentlemen, thank you, so much.&nbsp; I may have to experiment a bit more to ensure how lighting works. More experimentation performed... Enforce Line of Sight has to remain unchecked under Dynamic Lighting.