Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Make rolls from inside of Handouts, notes and GM Notes

In fantasy grounds you can add dice rolls and etc to your notes and when you click on them they will appear in the chat box.  Is this possible in Roll20? For example in A new Mysterious Note: In the Description or GM Notes section, I would like to do something like this: <chat><description>As you move off the trail and deeper into the woods you notice drag marks on the ground. What do you do? </description</chat> Then once you save the handout, that text looks like a hyperlink, but instead routes its output to the chat window. Dice rolls could be similar.. 

Edited 1463847964
Silvyre
Forum Champion
Indeed, this is possible. We can pretty much treat links within the Handouts/Bio & Info/GM Notes as API Command Buttons . i.e. Insert a link (using the button). Enter your description into the "Text" field of the Link window. Input the following to the URL field: !
 Add whatever you'd like to output to the text chat into the URL field, in front of what you just input.
Works like a charm!!!  Woot, thanks.. I am designing a module and this will help a ton.
Gold
Forum Champion
Neat. Didn't know you could do that. Silvyre, can your instructions 1-2-3-4 be found in the Wiki, tips & tricks anywhere, or be added on API Command Buttons page? This seems like a powerful feature that I hadn't seen used.
Silvyre
Forum Champion
Good point, Gold. I just added a section on  Journal Command Buttons to the Wiki!
Ok, here is one for you... Can I do the same thing from a MAP.. I would like to put text on the GM layer and then be able to click that text to open a Handout.... ?

Edited 1464223164
Silvyre
Forum Champion
Hm, the closest thing I can think of is: Using the Bio & Info page of a Character instead of a Handout Setting a Token on the GM Layer to Represent that Character (Optionally, using the Token's image or Nameplate to hold text) Holding down the Shift key on your keyboard while double-clicking on the Token to open the Bio & Info Tab of the linked Character.

Edited 1464233219
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
You could also setup an ability on the character (as a Token Action) named something like "Activate" and have it pull from @{selected|bar1} for the value.  That would let you have the action specified by the character, but the details of the action specified by the individual tokens.  Also, if you use a transparent image with an aura, you can put it on the object layer and be able to see and select it to get at the actions easily, but your players will not be able to see it (by default, they shouldn't be able to see the aura).