Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Eschewing complicated UI

I see a lot of posts about people embracing character sheets and API scripts and complicated macros, as if using these things is more or less a given these days. Sometimes I wonder if this is just because those who don't use these things have little to post about regarding using the UI. I know I've done my share of programming sheets and scripts and macros. But now I'm wondering if many people choose to forego these things in favor of just putting in a few attributes, maybe a simple macro, and only use Roll20 to keep track of those things that change about your character from time to time, like hit points and ammunition. To forget about automated combat attack and damage rolls, and just roll those things manually. Do many people still play that simply?
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
I guarantee they do, and like you surmised there won't be many posts about them as the setup and maintenance pretty much takes care of itself. Some systems have little to no complicated mathematics which allows for simple VTT mechanics, some games run in various other mediums and use the VTT to collate rolls and track things like inventory etc... It's all a matter of taste really.
Gabriel P.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
For some, though not all my games, I use little but a few sentences of text that include the stats (I might not bother to actual put these in as stats) and a macro for the systems standard roll, and that's about it.  Varies by game, system (if any), and players.  Roll20 works great in this mode for me and already has more features than one could hope for to play in that style. 
That's just one of the many wonderful things about R20. It doesn't force you to do just one specific method of playing. It's a fully customizable experience. The customizing does take some work, but it's definitely worth it when you get to see the fruits of your labor.
Gold
Forum Champion
It's quite possible to play many RPG games using only the voice-chat feature of Roll20. It can be played in the "theater of the mind". Some games don't even need text or dice, or cameras, much less a simple macro, map, or token. On another side of the same polyhedron, some games are text-only, and use just the Chat room and the Forum. Of course many text games also use the map and tokens, and often macros, but many RPG can be played (and probably are played on Roll20) with only the exchange of text words, just like in the old days of Email gaming, play-by-post, forum games, or MUD (multi-user dungeons on old text-only computer servers). I think that the minimum needed for a Roll20 game with theater-of-the-mind narrative gameplay style, is one form of communication or the other, probably text (chat or forum), or alternatively voice.
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Gold said: On another side of the same polyhedron, some games are text-only, and use just the Chat room and the Forum. Of course many text games also use the map and tokens, and often macros, but many RPG can be played (and probably are played on Roll20) with only the exchange of text words, just like in the old days of Email gaming, play-by-post, forum games, or MUD (multi-user dungeons on old text-only computer servers). Most of my games do not need any of the features I have access to and I rarely use any of them. I'm just now exploring the customization of sheets and the API (very little) scripts but I tried the dynamic lighting which adds more complications and complexity to my games that I don't enjoy just from a GM perspective. I do use some macros with roll templates (generic default one) but for a year or more I just made do with inline rolls since all my games are usually text only.