Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Danger Patrol! mockup

Just wanted to show a mock-up that I did of what a game of Danger Patrol might look like in Roll20. The table would be split into two sections: the center of action, and the character sheets. I did all of this in Roll20 as it currently stands, so making the notecards took a little longer than I would have liked, but it still more or less works. Here's the center of action, in which Crimson Apes have attacked the Danger Car and started causing general mayhem in Rocket City. This is the example encounter from the free beta version. Here's an example character sheet. Characters are created by choosing one of eight Style cards (the left half) and one of eight Role cards (the right half). Put them together, distribute your dice into the 8 traits, give yourself a name and uniform color scheme, and you are good to go. This game handles character sheets by marking sections off as you use resources, so in this case I just created a few little 'gem' tokens that could be placed over the items that have been used. During Interludes, when resources refresh, players can just delete / move the tokens off of the the base character sheet image. The one thing that I think is needed to make playing Danger Patrol fun using Roll20 would be the ability to quickly move about the table. If a player could quickly move from the center of action over to his or her character sheet and back again without having to think about it, I think the game could be run quite well. The one enhancement feature that would make Danger Patrol run marvelously would be the ability to tag either rectangle shapes or specific tokens with text, so that moving the note cards about wouldn't be a chore. It's especially odd that text objects sometimes fall beneath the rectangle object after being moved. Anyhow, I had fun making this mock-up; I might make a few more to see how other games I want to play might look in Roll20.
Kage
KS Backer
The set up looks great, but this really just makes me want to play Danger Patrol and I've never even heard of it before now.
I'm glad you liked it! I suppose I should have mentioned: you can get the beta (which is the most recently released version) free at <a href="http://dangerpatrol.com/" rel="nofollow">http://dangerpatrol.com/</a>. (Note: I'm in no way related to the creation of the game; I just happen to like it.)
This looks really, really interesting.
Good point about making interactive character sheets. Placing little notes on them would be great but moving around little gem-tokens would be even better. Could be used in many games, like marking down used skills in Trail of Cthulhu or marking down advancement in Burning Wheel. Maybe way to go is to create private "tables" for each player that behave like regular table. We could place jpg character sheet there, fill it up with text function and move those little pretty gems around without forcing everybody to move to the same game table.
Yeah, I've found that for many games, having a tangible character sheet is more important than having automatic calculations or anything. Some games treat character sheets as a sort of pre-game activity, such that players rarely have to edit them during the game, while other games are designed around being able to quickly make little edits to a character sheet. For those games, I figured that just sticking the character sheet on the table could work nicely.