Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Dynamic Lighting light source

Is there a way to create an invisible light source that emits light everyone can see all the time? I want to make it dim light constantly where the players have been, but the light source only works when a player token is in sight of it.
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
The token needs to be able to be 'controlled' by all players, have 'has sight' enabled and emit the desired light. A pro-tip is to set up a journal with a default token that has all of the settings in place so that you can easily drag the light source out as you need it. A pro-pro-tip is to give the token a small aura so that you can find it ;)
I guess I'm looking for a way to bypass the Enforce Line of Sight option. I want line of sight enabled except for this one light source.
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
I feel your pain, your only real option (that I know of!) is to have these tokens on the token layer so that players can 'see' through it's eyes when out of sight of the token itself. I've done testing using other layers and all manner of setting configurations to find alternatives but as of yet have found nothing that does this the way I would want it done :(
Pro tip: Give your invisible light tokens an aura so you can see them. ;) 
What lighting values do people use for this? I'm happy to have it show as a dimmed amount. I have several DL barriers set up, and adding multiple light sources gives me crisscrossing shadows. Any suggestion on how to get rid of them? (It would be good if the light was not additive, so that multiple light sources didn't increase light levels and shadows didn't exist.)
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Shadowfoot, I do not know if you have seen this thread about  people sharing their dynamic lighting setups but it is an interesting read.
Pat S. said: Shadowfoot, I do not know if you have seen this thread about  people sharing their dynamic lighting setups but it is an interesting read. Yep, I have. Unfortunately I'm working with an indoor/outdoor map with several buildings causing obstacles to sight, and adding several "vision" tokens to the map causes overlapping shadows. I'm trying it with several 50'/-100' 'vision' tokens to reduce shadows, but they will create overhead. 
There is a suggestion for Adjustable Global Illumination here . Maybe add a vote to that if you have it.