Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Line count and the Custom Character Sheet

So, is there a maximum amount of code lines in a custom character sheet?  I've just hit around 9,860, and the custom character pane isn't adding more lines...
[Deleted]
Sheet Author
API Scripter
I have seen several sheets at 14-15,000 lines for the HTML, it does start to slow down (at least from my experience) above 12,000
Might be my internet connection.  Maybe once google fiber makes its way here...

Edited 1465577890
[Deleted]
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Lines of code are also not always the appropriate metric. File size can come into play as well. You can take 3 "10,000" line HTML files; * 1 can have 20% blank space and run fast. * 1 can have zero blank space, but the lines are full of styling, maybe average load speed. * 1 can have zero blank space, and lots of auto-calculating attributes that are slow. So it is about efficient use of the code. Sheet Workers try to speed this up by loading some calculation to an imbedded script that can run concurrently. API Scripts can also be created to do some of the math and such on execution. There are lots of optomizations that can come into play before the connection comes into play.
I was actually concerned with the custom character sheet and number of shown lines, which is not the same as how much of the code is on each line. On my computer, in my browser, the html pane of the character sheet starts bogging down around the 7,000 line mark, and as I get closer to the 10,000 mark new lines do not always appear (especially when I cut and paste several lines of code), which, at least visually, result is lost of whatever it was I was writing.  Since the whole thing is done on a browser communicating with the Roll20 site and back again, internet connection can be a harsh master with it. Now, actually using the character sheet in game...that's discussed in other threads.  
[Deleted]
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Well, I have had 15,000 line sheets that displayed fine, but above 7000 the "paste" takes a long time to do. I have never had it not show a set of lines. Does collapsing the sections (the little triangles on the side) help this any? or does it still not show?
Haven't checked that.  I will get back to you about that.