Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Interest check for a Dark Souls game.

So I want to run a Dark Souls based game. If I do manage to put it together it would be for a single person or a small group who have never played the games, or maybe not I don't know. I would also like to have someone help me put this together since turning dark souls into a D&D thing is kinda hard by your self. Right now I'm making this game for the third Dark Souls since it's the most freash in my mind.
I've never played the games, but it sounds pretty interesting.
Probably better not to tie it directly into an existing game, and just make a new campaign in the setting. The games are designed differently than what would work for a tabletop. For example, the PCs can't read item descriptions, and thus would miss out on a lot of the lore. There's also potential sequence breaking to consider that would happen if the players simply applied logic (what if someone uses disable device to pick a locked door, or reaches through the bars of a cage to open it from the other side, or used a pole weapon/whip/rope/whatever to reach up and pull down a kick-ladder).
You bring up some good points but if I went and made a whole new story then I'd have even more work to do. Making new enemy's, bosses, environments, npcs, armor, items, item placements, and all that jazz on top of trying to make Dark Souls work for tabletop. If I did that all by myself would take at least a year then the few weeks it would take to what I'm doing right now.
It's just a matter of making up ideas. Everything else is the same; you'd still have to make stats for items, NPCs, monsters, bosses, etc. except you'd also have to hope that nothing is lost in translation, like how parrying and backstabbing isn't even a thing in DnD

Edited 1465673197
My plate's pretty full or I would jump at something like this. But I can give you some suggestions. The 5th editon Dungeon Masters Guide can be a great tool in creating, or modifying, monsters and magic items for a Dark Souls setting, or any homebrew setting, IMO. There are a lot of tables and guidelines in there about this kind of thing. Good luck and have fun!

Edited 1465674605
Backstabs are a thing just that only one class can do it. I know it's a matter of making ideas but to make up at least 20 bosses plus 40-ish(?) or so enemies, their stats, and making them interesting is something that would take a long ass time by myself. Arer you offering to help me make this game? Oh and for people wondering I am using 5e D&D. Juust so ya know.
I was also thinking for quite a while about how to make a Dark Souls version of D&D. I was inspired by how Dark Souls is probably the best D&D game in a long time, at least in terms of capturing the terror of exploring a fantasy world where everything is trying very hard to kill you. Has a very 1st edition kind of feel. Now, in terms of mechanics, I would look at the revenant class they introduced here: <a href="http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/gothic-he" rel="nofollow">http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/gothic-he</a>... Basically, if you die, you lose xp and travel back to your last bonfire. The dynamic would change a bit playing with a group rather than solo as in the video game, but would hopefully be manageable.&nbsp; In terms of setting, I would look at the Shadowfell. The lore they put out in 4e reads pretty close to Dark Souls. Sounds like a lot of fun. Good luck!
So I was thinking over the game and came to how fights should work. Should it be more like D&D or more like Dark Souls. Still looking for help as well.
A chance to play something I personally love? Frakk yeah!
So I was thinking...why not run two games? The first game would be the run through DS3. Think of it like a warm up. A chance for me to try things out see if they work, going back to change things if they don't work right. This also gives the players a chance to dip their toes into the Dark Souls world. The second game I would be working on during my free time would be the game that would be original. I don't know the details yet but I know I want to do something with Gwynevere and her children. Almost shocked that they haven't been in the spot light more.
Might be Spoiler but wasnt Gwynevere and 2+ Children actually in 3? However more hidden away in the item descriptions like normal. Though id be interested for perhaps one based in that world.....not sure how you would deal with the Multiple Deaths/Hollowing but would be interesting to see&nbsp;