Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Losing player messages

Dev Team I get email notifications from Roll20 for someone joining my game(s). When I go online to my roll20 site page, I see a number below the purple envelope in the top right corner, near the Private Messages" icon. However, when I try to click on the icon to read the messages, then click on View Message button, I get "No private messages" or "Not found or deleted". If I open Private Messages itself, there is nothing there either, nor on the LFG page. I really want to respond back those who are reaching out to me and the only evidence I have of who posted something is from my Roll20 notification, and that does not allow me to know the email address of the player.  At the very least, this is not intuitive, but probably it is a bug since I have seen other forum posts about similar problems. -Falsoon
Phil B.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
While I'm not exactly sure how the notification system works, there might be some code in there to remove the notification if the player leaves before you get a chance to look at it. Which would explain why it was blank when you looked. We do, however, need to take a look at the notification icon if it was still lighting up, despite there no longer being any notifications waiting inside. 
Gold
Forum Champion
Note, Falsoon and Phil, there is also an issue with seeing older (already read) Notifications when you click Back in your browser, or when loading a previously-loaded URL. Click Refresh in your broswer and it removes the old Notifications and pares it down to only the current Unread ones. Could Falsoon's description of the issue, match this issue? Example, come to Roll20 and if I have 14 Notifications, then I read 5 of them. It shows "9". But now if I click "Back" in Chrome to return to, say, Forum homepage, it will say "14" again and contains ones that I already read. Click Refresh and it reverts to 9, the correct number.